Author Topic: The Illusive Insurance Agent  (Read 15462 times)

Offline felixwang

• Civilian
  • Unit Trust Consultant
The Illusive Insurance Agent
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:38:22 AM »
I have bought my first insurance policy in 1997 with a principle of RM 2800++ pa. However, this insurance agent went missing after he has secured my policy. For a person like myself who is in the sales industry for more than 10 years, i am a strong believer of "after sales" and "value added" services which should be rendered by my agent. Correct me if I am wrong but I found out that this is a common practice carried out by the majority insurance agents who replaced their appearances via 2 simple greeting cards (birthday + festives) on a yearly basis which makes me wonders how do they differentiate themselves from the rest? To those who are still carrying out the same practice by your senior in the past, you have to wake up as the world is getting more demanding as we speak.

However, there are still a few good agents among the bad one who render excellent after sales services to me and my family after all these years. My agent from prudential has been doing a marvelous job over the past 8 years where i have an accumulated 6 policies which total up to more than RM 10K principal a year with him.

I believe trust and understanding can only be accumulated with constant communications over times. To all insurance agents who are out there making people life a little better during the time of needs, i sincerely hope we are being treated more like a friend than just a pay cheque to you.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:46:11 AM by felixwang »
felix wang
unit trust consultant

Offline umeshmalani

• Civilian
Re: The Illusive Insurance Agent
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
give us an oppurtunity and we will show you what we can do for you better:) ....feel free to contact me at 0123955584...

Offline Peter Pan

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
The problem with the insurance industry is that an agent is only get paid commision for the 1st 5 years. They will roughly earn like 150% of your yearly premium. After 5 years, it is no wonder they dont layan you at all. This is very common. Ever worst, they have the nerve to ask you to buy more or top up policies from you after 5 years have ended.

Offline venven81

• Knight
    • Prudential. Your One Stop Financial Centre.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
The problem with the insurance industry is that an agent is only get paid commision for the 1st 5 years. They will roughly earn like 150% of your yearly premium. After 5 years, it is no wonder they dont layan you at all. This is very common. Ever worst, they have the nerve to ask you to buy more or top up policies from you after 5 years have ended.

it's unfair for you to stereotype the insurance agents in general for being the way you described. it's true that the agent will earn commission for the 1st 6 years but it is also the agent's job to keep the client posted on the update and development in the industry from time to time (twice a year or at least once a year). when the agent is doing a good enough job by means of providing excellent service to the client, the client is more than happy to top up/get more products from the same agent and in turn will recommend the agent to his/her circle of friends.

when the agent tak layan the client, it's the agent's short sighted approach that will cause him to lose and eventually render his reputation. this is solely depending on the individual agent and not all agents as a whole.
Prudential for your protection & investment needs

Offline Strat

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
Much agreed..

Mine stuck with me for more than 10 years. Commission or not, one phone call and he's there for my every claim. Eventually, I bought my whole family's insurance from him.

Truth be told.. It is not the insurance you buy, its the insurance agent you buy it from..

Offline MasterMind

• Civilian
    • MSolutions Advisory
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »
You will find bad guys in good industry or good guys in bad industry.

Insurance industry is known to have high turnover, some thought these people are overpaid but in fact many can't survive let alone always travel to see you for no income?

There are good agents too....

Chong KH
MSolutionsAdvisory.com
Financial Planner ~ Mortgage Advisor
Blog: MSolutionsAdvisory.com