Poll

Which best describes your feelings about investing?

"Better safe than sorry."
"Moderation in all things."
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Author Topic: 3i Investing Whispers  (Read 817222 times)

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
Re: 3i Investing Whispers
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
Making money and losing money are emotional topics.  The secret of success is to learn to be emotionally neutral.  One of the greatest causes of financial struggle is the fear of losing money.

Emotional control is critical for success in stock investing.  In most markets, there is no logic, only emotions of fear and greed.  By discipline and courage, we refuse to let others' mood swings govern our financial destiny. 

Itís better to buy a wonderful company at fair price than a fair company at wonderful price.

1.  Understand the business
2.  Business must have DCA
3.  Management with integrity
4.  Buy at a sensible price

Big Fat Pitch.  Focus Investing.  Long term portfolio for capital appreciation and income.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you.  There will always be times when the crowd does not respect our judgement.  That does not mean we are wrong.  Neither does it mean we are right.  We are only convinced we are right when we have made decisions based on facts. 

We don't have to be smarter, only more disciplined. 

It takes courage and discipline to practise, "Be fearful when others are greedy; be greedy when others are fearful."  Successful investors are disciplined, consistent, and they pay little attention to the market.
Itís better to buy a wonderful company at fair price than a fair company at wonderful price.

Big Fat Pitch.  Focus Investing.  Long term portfolio for capital appreciation and income.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »
Successful investing does not require high IQ, unusual business insights or inside information.  To invest successfully we need to have a sound intellectual framework, and to control our emotions.

Success in stock investing consists of knowledge, money management skills and emotional control and discipline.  When knowledge and money management skills are secured, the ultimate determining factor is emotional control and discipline.

The ultimate winner in investing is above all, an emotionally stable person.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »
To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realise.  To achieve superior results is harder than it looks.  It requires a continual exercise of courage and discipline.

Successful investors are disciplined, consistent, and they pay little attention to the market.  This means staying away from the Bursa, staying away from trading floors and also staying away from rating agencies and financial advisors. 

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
As intelligent investors, you should stop getting glued to computer screens everyday.  Day trading is one of the best weapons invented for committing financial suicide.  Traders who have their eyes glued to their computer screens not only suffer from eye problems and fatigue, they may even suffer from an empty wallet.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
We all know that 90% of people involved in the stock market are losing money.  We can also be sure that a majority of these losers are traders who quite often became speculators.  And speculators easily graduate to become gamblers.  At times, it is quite difficult to differentiate between traders, speculators and gamblers.  The only thing common is that they are impatient and eventually end up as losers. 

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Basically, stock traders' strategy is to by low and sell high. 

The only problem is that you have to keep doing that to no end, whereas true investors gradually find financial and time freedom to do what they want to do, go where they want to go and to be with whomsoever they want to be with.  For some people, the sad truth is that the more money they have, the less time they have. 

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
90% of stock market "investors" are not interested in learning about investment.  They crave for tips.

"Keep all these difficult concepts and elaborate details to yourself.  Just tell us what stocks to buy.  We will put in all our money in one fell swoop and top that up with margins.  Just make sure your tips are solid."

Remember, your direction is more important than your speed in your investing.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »
We all know that 90% of people involved in the stock market are losing money.  We can also be sure that a majority of these losers are traders who quite often became speculators.  And speculators easily graduate to become gamblers.  At times, it is quite difficult to differentiate between traders, speculators and gamblers.  The only thing common is that they are impatient and eventually end up as losers. 

Try to build a good foundation in investment b4 u attempt speculation loh...! Like raider always....understand risk reward odds....margin of safety...the company financial position & psychology....of mkt....b4 raider bet mah....!
Thats the reason why raider....never the 90% of people losing in the mkt loh.....!

Also chose the right mentor, adviser and allies.....that is the reason why raider have Senior Analyst, Tukang Tilik, 009 investigators and Kuda Quek loh..!
Always play for big win & minimise loss loh...!

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
90% of stock market "investors" are not interested in learning about investment.  They crave for tips.

"Keep all these difficult concepts and elaborate details to yourself.  Just tell us what stocks to buy.  We will put in all our money in one fell swoop and top that up with margins.  Just make sure your tips are solid."

Remember, your direction is more important than your speed in your investing.

Yes raider had improve on this thru leech tech...!
U are the designer.....raider & gang are the engineers.....this leech tech is so powerful....until dare claim....the 2nd best player loh...!

If u use leech tech....u can accept any tips....but always do counter checking n risk reward analysis mah...! End of the day...u can adopt n accept...it as yourself...but only after thru research loh....!

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
People who love to "buy low sell high" are always in danger of losing a lot because of impatience and greed.  Buying something with a view of selling it at a higher price later is akin to gambling.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you.  There will always be times when the crowd does not respect our judgement.  That does not mean we are wrong.  Neither does it mean we are right.  We are only convinced we are right when we have made decisions based on facts. 

We don't have to be smarter, only more disciplined. 

It takes courage and discipline to practise, "Be fearful when others are greedy; be greedy when others are fearful."  Successful investors are disciplined, consistent, and they pay little attention to the market.

Even U r wrong it is always ok....at the end of the day...if u achieve 65% right.....n 35% wrong....u r still veri well ahead of the mkt loh...!
The key...is fundamental analysis & huge margin of safety....!

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
Sometimes we are tempted to listen to people who are learned, experienced or qualified when talking about investments in the stock market.

However, most investment professionals (certified financial analysts), traders and investors today ignored Benjamin Graham's teachings and do not believe in Warren Buffett's style of investing.  

More often than not, his method of making money and holding forever is "too slow" for them.  

If we listen to these local so-called experts, we would be swayed by their opinions; either, "Buffett's strategies are not applicable today," or "Buffett's strategies are not applicable in Malaysia."

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2011, 11:36:25 PM »
If you are in doubt, let me reassure you that Warren Buffett's strategies can be applied in other parts of this world, particularly in Malaysia.  And you don't need to be as smart, or have as much capital as him for his strategies to work.  This is because his strategies are based on sound principles of wealth that are as old as the hills.

The greatest stock investment strategy in the world is simply to identify a wonderful business and buy it at a price way below its intrinsic value.

(Stock Market Secrets
by Andrew Chia)

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »
People who love to "buy low sell high" are always in danger of losing a lot because of impatience and greed.  Buying something with a view of selling it at a higher price later is akin to gambling.

YES Go ahead buy low & sell high....! This is oart of a right fundamental of money making loh...!
Low must be supplemented by true margin of safety & high must be supplemented by financial analysis and valuation...!
Do not just let the market to do the talking loh....! Bcos market may cheat u...!

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »
Sometimes we are tempted to listen to people who are learned, experienced or qualified when talking about investments in the stock market.

However, most investment professionals (certified financial analysts), traders and investors today ignored Benjamin Graham's teachings and do not believe in Warren Buffett's style of investing.  

More often than not, his method of making money and holding forever is "too slow" for them.  

If we listen to these local so-called experts, we would be swayed by their opinions; either, "Buffett's strategies are not applicable today," or "Buffett's strategies are not applicable in Malaysia."

U can build a philosophy....with a good investment framework....good ideas can be accepted after u understand the idea loh...! This will come naturally....once u create a good habit....it is like ....fish always know how to swim loh...!

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »

See la oledi mani don't listen to graham, buffet teachings liao, why would they even bother to follow your small fry approach, now do you find yourself more and more * *? Let me tell you this, don't waste too much of your time posting these nonsense, if people really want to learn they will automatically look for you or start reading up one la, this type of thing cannot force one :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAK AKA

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
U can build a philosophy....with a good investment framework....good ideas can be accepted after u understand the idea loh...! This will come naturally....once u create a good habit....it is like ....fish always know how to swim loh...!

It's all in the mind, you can read as much as possible but dont have correct mindset also die lor :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................................... .........................WAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAKAKAKAKAKA

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:35 PM »
See la oledi mani don't listen to graham, buffet teachings liao, why would they even bother to follow your small fry approach, now do you find yourself more and more * *? Let me tell you this, don't waste too much of your time posting these nonsense, if people really want to learn they will automatically look for you or start reading up one la, this type of thing cannot force one :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAK AKA

it take yrs....to learn mah...a baby need to walk & fall....then only know how to walk well mah...!

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »

Actually, I am very happy (and sad to) to discover that the many players in this market are not so financially knowledgeable or investment savvy.  The fool and his/her money soon part.

Offline Guesst

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »
So much crap here... better go and kick the neighbor's noisy cat!! :D :D :D

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »

See another bullseye, I OLEDI TOLD YOU SO :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:........WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
Actually, I am very happy (and sad to) to discover that the many players in this market are not so financially knowledgeable or investment savvy.  The fool and his/her money soon part.

Raider on the otherhand....discover that most of investor in investlah....are financial veri knowledgeable.....but by choice decide to chose a short cut speculative/gambling route....mislead by the mkt as an avenue of making big fortune in a veri short time loh...!

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2011, 11:54:19 PM »
Congratulation for reading this thread.

Having read all the above, you may now wish to re-read this first post of this thread to understand better.

The Lure of Short-Term Gains

There are many strategies employed in the market.
During a given period, any strategy may give a negative return,
despite having delivered good positive returns in the past or over the long term.
The investor maybe tempted to change a proven strategy.

An investor changed from
   fundamental investing,
      to technical investing,
         to warrants investing,
            to options investing
               and to investing in U.S. equities.

These techniques spoke loudly the resourcefulness of the investor,
but the success must await an honest revelation of the total returns.
This was certainly bewildering to those who are less savy.
Yet, it was both interesting and intriguing to follow the investing adventure of this investor.

Sometimes, the lure of short-run gains, the attraction of a new paradigm,
and the relentless pressure to keep pace with hot sectors and hot stocks
caused some/many investors to abandon their long-term principles.
The long-term moderate rate of return is too slow for many who tasted the spectacular gains made in the bull market.

However, by accepting a modest return of 7 or 8% per year (doubling wealth every 10 years),
there are many stocks giving such a return with low or no risk.
Patience must be exercised by long-term investors.
Stocks remain the best investment for all those seeking steady, long-term gains.

... copy and paste from someone blogsite ...

P/S:  Maybe someone can ask Leno which blog he copied the above post from?   :)

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
    • Investlah - Malaysia's Biggest Investment Forum
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2011, 11:54:53 PM »
Dun bother understanding what is good stock or bad stock because you will never understand anything anyway. Just focus on knowing what most people think is good stock, and even bad stock will become good stock. The aim is not who you judge to be the beauty queen, the aim is to find out whom most people perceive to be the beauty queen.
Can someone to give me a Loan and then leave me Alone?

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
It's all in the mind, you can read as much as possible but dont have correct mindset also die lor :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................................... .........................WAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAKAKAKAKAKA

U don have to be a doctor,lawyer, engineer, accountant to make a living....!
Just stay within your core circle of competent is ok already loh...!
So if u don have mindset to learn & expand.....just stay within....your circle of competent....u will still be successful loh...!

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »

OMG
He read the thread.
Emotional Control is the Key.
Pity the neighbour and the cat.
 :D

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
Raider on the otherhand....discover that most of investor in investlah....are financial veri knowledgeable.....but by choice decide to chose a short cut speculative/gambling route....mislead by the mkt as an avenue of making big fortune in a veri short time loh...!
Are you referring to JM and GSB?

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:50 PM »
Dun bother understanding what is good stock or bad stock because you will never understand anything anyway. Just focus on knowing what most people think is good stock, and even bad stock will become good stock. The aim is not who you judge to be the beauty queen, the aim is to find out whom most people perceive to be the beauty queen.

This approach you described is for trading.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »

This is a good cadidate to be con loh...!

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2011, 12:00:18 AM »
This approach you described is for trading.
Ya, trading is for short term gain.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2011, 12:01:42 AM »
Are you referring to JM and GSB?

In general....raider notice most investlah member....financial knowledge....xtremely good...not only JM mah...!

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »
In general....raider notice most investlah member....financial knowledge....xtremely good...not only JM mah...!
You think LENO good or not?

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
The best investment books don't contain magic formulas for stock market wealth. If they did, we'd all be rich. Rather, great books on investing teach us how to think, how to analyze, and how to approach a discipline that only a few will come close to mastering. If you're looking for instant riches, look elsewhere. Investment success is achieved only through long term application of sound investing principles.

See la, reading good books also no use one ma, it's all in the mind, it's all in the mind :giggle: :giggle:....................................... .....................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAKAKAKA

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »

You think BB good or not?

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »
You think LENO good or not?

Honestly....raider think leno is xtremely GOOD...!
Just that....his political inclination....is totally off, but he is highly vocal....creating alot of enemies in investlah...!

Offline ConFake

• Baronet
  • Pull out faster, or you'll become father!
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:11 AM »
I'm here dudes. I heard someone called me. When I can start? Spread some buy calls your bread OK?

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
Just that....his political inclination....is totally off, but he is highly vocal....creating alot of enemies in investlah...!

raider expectation so low ar, leno is a belly belly lousy growth stock investor la so cannot use xtremely la, look her too high liao la :giggle: :giggle:....................................... ...................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAK

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
The best investment books don't contain magic formulas for stock market wealth. If they did, we'd all be rich. Rather, great books on investing teach us how to think, how to analyze, and how to approach a discipline that only a few will come close to mastering. If you're looking for instant riches, look elsewhere. Investment success is achieved only through long term application of sound investing principles.

See la, reading good books also no use one ma, it's all in the mind, it's all in the mind :giggle: :giggle:....................................... .....................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAKAKAKA
Correct, correct. In my opinion, no financial formulas are correct, but some formulas are more useful than the others. But I a bit diagree that stock investment cannot bring instant riches. If you have the guts to execute what you think is worth buying, then fortune god might also reward you kaw kaw. A lot of people have their list of good stocks, but few people dare to wage all they have in these few stocks. After a while, guts and courage is more important than knowledge. You want to earn big bucks, you must dare to sai lang. This is a law, nothing to do with how smart you are.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »

BB again is xtremely good....loh...! We are lucky to have him here loh...!
The only....thing...his circle of competent.....on stock selection is xtremely narrow mah...!
It is ok....a successful strategy also...!

But his academic investment philosophy AAA loh...! But practical investment philosophy just A only loh...!

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:07 AM »
I agree totally. Nothing to add.

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
I think your investment theory ok, I think you got a degree is biz mgmt. But mostly not backed by real numbers and empirical evidence. Its like a scientist use their observation and define a theory to describe what is universe, but lack Stephen Hawking ability to back up with numbers and statistics. No offence ya. If any I say sori ya.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:26 AM »
raider expectation so low ar, leno is a belly belly lousy growth stock investor la so cannot use xtremely la, look her too high liao la :giggle: :giggle:....................................... ...................WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA KAKAK

Just look for consistency...! To be successful investment...........u don have to strike a few big big super winners mah....!
What u need is just consistently make modest gain......but minimise loss....u already set your route to riches.....thru compounding effect loh...!

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
BB again is xtremely good....loh...! We are lucky to have him here loh...!
The only....thing...his circle of competent.....on stock selection is xtremely narrow mah...!
It is ok....a successful strategy also...!

But his academic investment philosophy AAA loh...! But practical investment philosophy just A only loh...!

aiyo raider expectation also belly low again, bb cannot use xtremely again lor, his major weakness never xplore further, always follow buffet great companies at fair prices, must also follow seth klarman, lynch, buffet, graham etc etc then only become complete lor. Opps i also forgot he use dividend model for ESSO, so bcos of this, bb cannot get xtremely lor :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................................... ...WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »

Correct, correct. In my opinion, no financial formulas are correct, but some formulas are more useful than the others. But I a bit diagree that stock investment cannot bring instant riches. If you have the guts to execute what you think is worth buying, then fortune god might also reward you kaw kaw. A lot of people have their list of good stocks, but few people dare to wage all they have in these few stocks. After a while, guts and courage is more important than knowledge. You want to earn big bucks, you must dare to sai lang. This is a law, nothing to do with how smart you are.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
It is great that we are having a good discussion.

My investing philosophy and strategy is not original.  They are distilled and adopted from various gurus.  These are all available in the public domain.

Rather surprisingly, though many do read the same books, few actually took the trouble to actually put the thinking and investing process in a format that they can use repeatedly and easily to benefit them.

Online stockraider

• Marquess
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2011, 12:20:49 AM »
aiyo raider expectation also belly low again, bb cannot use xtremely again lor, his major weakness never xplore further, always follow buffet great companies at fair prices, must also follow seth klarman, lynch, buffet, graham etc etc then only become complete lor. Opps i also forgot he use dividend model for ESSO, so bcos of this, bb cannot get xtremely lor :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:....................................... ...WAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA

But if u hold Pet Dag, Public Bank,PPB, Guiness,Genting, LPI.............5-10 yrs.....u can say he is a good investors loh...! These are solid pick mah..and also solid hold loh...! U r really good to be able to do that loh...!

Online Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
Just look for consistency...! To be successful investment...........u don have to strike a few big big super winners mah....!
What u need is just consistently make modest gain......but minimise loss....u already set your route to riches.....thru compounding effect loh...!
I beg to differ. If your definition of successful is really succesful, then consistent trading will kill you. Just like if you gamble one or two time, you can make money. But if you gamble consistently, because the odds is with the casino, prolong gambling will kill you. to substatntiate by real life example, look at Peter Lim Eng hock. He wack everything on Wilmar. Look at john paulson, he wack everything against CDO during subprime crisis. Hence to be successful, you need one big sai lang. The other small trading rarely contribute much, and I sledom see small frequent trading create heroes.

Online iiinvestsmart

• Marquess
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »

Actually, you only need to know whether the new stock will replace your existing stock in quality and potential return.  

Investing is actually so simple.  So it was easy for me to determine which stock I would like to invest into or not.  

As to ESSO, its price was hovering at $3.00 for a long time, before its recent rise.  How do you think this old price was arrived at?  

Offline .

• Baronet
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »
But if u hold Pet Dag, Public Bank,PPB, Guiness,Genting, LPI.............5-10 yrs.....u can say he is a good investors loh...! These are solid pick mah..and also solid hold loh...! U r really good to be able to do that loh...!

Agree but don't go around comment people undervalue stock ma, *******, this MNRB also want compare with LPI. u need to know MNRB is what type of play and LPI is what type of play then only can comment ma. Otherwise make me wanna laff only :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:......................................W AKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA