Author Topic: Investing in China  (Read 3910 times)

Offline u-know-who

• Civilian
Investing in China
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:08:15 PM »
Hwang DBS has recently launched a new fund, Greater China Structured Fund.

It is a feeder fund which invest in 7 Greater China stocks with an initial approved size of 300 million units @ RM1.00 per unit. According to my unit trust agent, although the fund size has been increased to another 100 million units, it was fully subscribed before the offer period on 29 December.

Seems that Malaysians' apetite for investing in China is very great.  :)

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
  • Where sharing is learning
Re: Investing in China
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 03:14:34 PM »
What companies are in the portfolio?

Offline u-know-who

• Civilian
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:26:34 PM »
The potential basket of Greater China stocks are China Life Insurance, China Mobile (HK), Huaneng Power International, China Construction Bank, Cheung Kong (Holdings), Cathay Financials and PetroChina Co. According to the information given, these 7 stocks are beneficiaries of on-going economic boom and industrialisation.

Offline Calvin Wong

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
I heard that the growth in China is starting to level off. Is this true?

Offline 1liner

• Civilian
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
Sounds pretty diverse type of industries..

Offline u-know-who

• Civilian
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
According to a recent report by Credit Suisse (dated 13 Dec), India will overtake China next year as the world's fastest growing major economy on rising consumer and government spending.

Growth forecast for India's $775 billion economy, Asia's fourth biggest, is raised to 10 percent from 8.5 percent. China's $2.2 trillion economy is expected to grow 9.9 percent next year from 10.4 percent in 2006.

Perhaps, there will be some new funds launched soon which concentrate on investing in India!

Offline 1liner

• Civilian
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
India and China has a huge difference. Ask yourself what companies are in CHina and what companies are in India and WHY?

Offline booffett

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:57:19 PM »
this is a very good topic to discuss on....

anyway, i think it is good that all forumer that have idea, put up the link of the info that you are stating...

with strong facts from good website or sources, the discussion can be more beneficial... ahahahahah

actually i am doing International business assignment this sem, so, kena this topic on china stuff... exactly like wat u all discussing now... if u all got any source, please paste it here lah... and also, can send to my email
booyanqing@gmail.com

of coz, thanks alot for ur info also, after i complete the assignment, i will paste my work up here to share with the rest of ppl....

reallly, thanks in advance for ur help!!!

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

The problem with cut loss is, easy to say hard to do; the problem with let the profit run is, most often, the profit only run 100m, not the 400m as you expected.

http://www.booffett.~.com/

Offline earwax

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
According to a recent report by Credit Suisse (dated 13 Dec), India will overtake China next year as the world's fastest growing major economy on rising consumer and government spending.

Growth forecast for India's $775 billion economy, Asia's fourth biggest, is raised to 10 percent from 8.5 percent. China's $2.2 trillion economy is expected to grow 9.9 percent next year from 10.4 percent in 2006.

Perhaps, there will be some new funds launched soon which concentrate on investing in India!

It's still better to invest in China. Even if India is forecasted a faster growing rate, China's 9.9% x $2.2 trillion is much much bigger than India's 10% x $775 billion.
Right beside every great brain there is... Earwax! :)

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
  • Where sharing is learning
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »
Will only be studying this subject in July...

I am currently looking into the mobile content industry.. Very interesting in China and Malaysia..

Offline u-know-who

• Civilian
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 08:58:39 PM »
Lately, there have been a lot of news about Chinese companies going for IPOs.

In the first ten months of 2006, the IPO market in China has raised up to US 43 billion, making it the largest IPO market globally. Of the US 43 billion, US21.9 billion was raised from the listing of the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) in Hong Kong and Shanghai, making it the biggest initial public offering ever. The feverish pace that the price of ICBC sets has enable it to become the second biggest bank in the world in terms of market capitalization.

(Further details about Chinese banks can be obtained from the link below:
http://www.theglobalguru.com/article.php?id=86&offer=GURU001

The next big offering seems to be from China Re. China has injected $4 billion into China Reinsurance (Group) Co., the nation's former monopoly reinsurance provider, paving the way for an initial public offering.

OSK-UOB has launched its latest fund today, Global New Stars Fund to capitalize on the robust growth of the IPO market. The initial approved fund size is 400 million units (RM0.50 per unit). There seems to be a frenzy of buyers as after only one day, the take up offer has reached a dizzying height of 300 million units!