Author Topic: New Trust launched by Pacific Mutual  (Read 5385 times)

Offline jeybon

• Knight
  • The best of things should be shared
New Trust launched by Pacific Mutual
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:12:48 AM »
I came across this fund in Pacific Mutual website and decided to give my agent a ring.  It's called Pacific Asia Brands Fund.  The objective of this fund is unique as it seeks to invest only in top brands that market their products throughout Asia like Nike, Puma, SKII, Camel, Levis and etc.  The fund manager could invest 99% of their current RM 250mil funds into these equities. 
  From the economy point of view, consumers spending would gone up as the economies of the two giant (China & India) are coming up. 
  How would you all think of the future of this fund as it's new and there's hardly any performance record?
Regards,
Jeybon

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
  • Where sharing is learning
Re: New Trust launched by Pacific Mutual
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »
How experienced is the fund manager in investing overseas? That's the main question I always ask for funds that invest overseas..
Big brands may not bring big capital gains/dividends (these are what investors care about only)... This could be a sales pitch! Be careful..
Just go into the companies like u said, Nike, Puma n etc and check them out yourselves.
Another marketing thingy is that for now they may reduce the fee from 6% to like 4% or smt... this may be good.

Oh ya... another thing you may want to check is the funds owned by the company.If all or most their funds are in the red, I would be worried on investing on a new 1...

Offline Anonymous

• Civilian
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:12:44 PM »
How would you choose a unit trust funds?
1. Fund Manager - You have to know this person background, experience and achievement since you are going to trust this person to invest your money. And he is also earning your money around 5-7% initial charge and 1-2% per annum.
2. Fund objective - Choose the fund that meets your investment objective and make sure that the fund manager follow the fund objective. Eg: %in equity/bond/money market, high divident/ high growth/ small cap, Islamic?, high or moderate risk?
3. Fund track record - MUST bear in mind that past performance not neccessary can be extrapolated. Also depend on market cycle, changes in your fund management, etc...

Not so sure on Pacific Mutual but have experience in Public Mutual. Public Mutual Far East Fund already sold out after launched about 2 months. The fund objective is to invest 70% into Asia market such as Taiwan, China, Korea, Japan, Indonesia... The return is around 3% but compared to benchmark index 7%. As the fund is new, it will take some time to catch up with the index but usually fund mananged by good managers will be able to over perform the index.

Offline 24601

• Civilian
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »
1. Fund Manager - You have to know this person background, experience and achievement since you are going to trust this person to invest your money. And he is also earning your money around 5-7% initial charge and 1-2% per annum.

are there any famous fund managers? how do you check on fund manager's background?

thanks.

Offline jeybon

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
That is the very question that I wanted to ask.  Do you check funds managers background merely at looking at their performance or their portfolio stated on the prospectus?  It would seems bias if we rely on their company prospectus rite?  Any recommendation?
Regards,
Jeybon

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
I got no idea what other ways to check their backgrounds...
As an investor, I am just interested in ROI either in the form of dividens, capital gains or etc.
Performance is the most important thing...

Oh ya... 1 agent from Public Mutual told me that the overseas fund of theirs had gained 3% since launch (November, if not mistaken)....
Hmm... wondering again whether is investing overseas is ideal for me..

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
U can check some information like Buy, Sell, Initial Charge, Annual Fees & NAV at http://biz.thestar.com.my/business/unit_trust.asp

Offline jeybon

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:45:38 AM »
There's lots of informations that I got from the site.  Thanks.  Btw, anyone who knows some ways of getting to know the fund managers other than from their prospectus?  From rumours?
Regards,
Jeybon

Offline DenLee

• Baronet
  • Sharing and seeking financial wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:32:33 AM »
I got no idea what other ways to check their backgrounds...
As an investor, I am just interested in ROI either in the form of dividens, capital gains or etc.
Performance is the most important thing...

Oh ya... 1 agent from Public Mutual told me that the overseas fund of theirs had gained 3% since launch (November, if not mistaken)....
Hmm... wondering again whether is investing overseas is ideal for me..

I think your agent is referring to the Public Far East Fund.  It looks like performing very well although it's a new fund.  I notice that it's upward movement is more significant than the Pacific Asia Brand which had just gained less than 2% since January.
Regards,
Denlee

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 09:01:40 AM »
Wow... nearly 2% in just 3 months... Pretty good I guess for a new fund...

Oh ya.. I remember last time when they make a pitch to me on funds like this, they told me sometimes travelling expenses are being factored into the fund. If not mistaken, for Public Mutual it is not.... Anyone can confirm this or comment on this?

Offline jeybon

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 12:51:54 PM »
Wow... nearly 2% in just 3 months... Pretty good I guess for a new fund...

Oh ya.. I remember last time when they make a pitch to me on funds like this, they told me sometimes travelling expenses are being factored into the fund. If not mistaken, for Public Mutual it is not.... Anyone can confirm this or comment on this?

This is something to do with the management cost of a trust fund.  I thought they charged it into the Annual Fee?
Regards,
Jeybon

Offline julez.lim

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
Somehow the agents told me NO.... very weird....
Clement, do u know any info on this?

Offline clementluy

• Civilian
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 12:56:12 AM »
Somehow the agents told me NO.... very weird....
Clement, do u know any info on this?

as for your info, public mutual's manage their oversea fund in house so that the management fee for will be lover compare to those who appoint oversea fund manager company to manage. During the Investment Talk session with one of public mutual fund manager, every morning their will received email from the appoited stock trader/ dealer from the related country about the market news / tips/ market report and etc (fyi, all other external fund manager also doing the same as you don't expect them to allocate their fund manager country by country rite ?)

/clement