Poll

Is your unit trust portfolio making money?

Yes
6 (75%)
No
2 (25%)
I don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Is your unit trust portfolio doing well?  (Read 24020 times)

Offline jslim18

• Civilian
Is your unit trust portfolio doing well?
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
I am interested to find out how many of the existing unit trust investor is actually happy about their performance of unit trust portfolio. This poll is very different from what you obtain from elsewhere because I would like to have a public opinion. Forget about the media, I am more concern of individual voice up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:33:59 AM by Ļaughing Ģor »

Offline kittima

• Viscount
Re: Is your unit trust portfolio doing well?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
One thing public always mislead by the unit trust agent is like "you can buy unit trust whenever you want for your saving or investment purpose" but actually buying unit trust, especially buying the equity base portfolio unit trust, is just like buying share, you must buy at the correct timing, the difference from buying individual share and unit trust, the timing for unit trust is about the level of whole market when you enter.

So, whoever still keep buying in unit trust now, I'm seen it as looking for trouble by yourself.

Offline serre04

• Civilian
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »
One thing public always mislead by the unit trust agent is like "you can buy unit trust whenever you want for your saving or investment purpose" but actually buying unit trust, especially buying the equity base portfolio unit trust, is just like buying share, you must buy at the correct timing, the difference from buying individual share and unit trust, the timing for unit trust is about the level of whole market when you enter.

So, whoever still keep buying in unit trust now, I'm seen it as looking for trouble by yourself.

agree that timing is also important.. but why are you saying buying unit trust now is a mistake?

i think now is the best time to buy due to recent market correction. 

Offline kittima

• Viscount
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
agree that timing is also important.. but why are you saying buying unit trust now is a mistake?

i think now is the best time to buy due to recent market correction. 

In term of statement like "market correction" is very subjective, when you buy share, you can count for "technical rebound" to gain in short term due to market correction, but in term of unit trust, you need a longer holding period, as such, the cycle of peak and bottom is longer than you playing share in short term.

For example, you see KLCI drop from near 1900 to near 1800 now, seem like a correction, you buy UT at 1800 level, if there are a rebound to 1830, I think UT price is still not worth to cash out, where else individual share may have cash out opportunity in this rebound. When once didn't cash out UT, and actually the market take 2 years to correct until 1500 level, UT holder will stuck with it in 2 years period.

To buy in and cash out in UT, may be need a 3 to 5 years circle, not like individual share that you always have oppturnity in intermediate of the correction.

Offline kittima

• Viscount
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
When a well known fund manager like TTB feel that current KLCI valuation is too high, limited stock that they can buy, and they keeping big portion of cash at their fund, with their professional statistic research I quite agree with his opinion, so, when one person dump their money into UT, what is the fund manager can do? If they buy, they buy high valuation stock, if they don't buy, why let them keep your cash where you can keep it yourself?

For me, I will not touch UT for this 2 to 3 years, but still trade stock intermediately.

Offline kittima

• Viscount
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
And furthermore, actually I feel UT holder should cash out now  :D

Offline serre04

• Civilian
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
In term of statement like "market correction" is very subjective, when you buy share, you can count for "technical rebound" to gain in short term due to market correction, but in term of unit trust, you need a longer holding period, as such, the cycle of peak and bottom is longer than you playing share in short term.

For example, you see KLCI drop from near 1900 to near 1800 now, seem like a correction, you buy UT at 1800 level, if there are a rebound to 1830, I think UT price is still not worth to cash out, where else individual share may have cash out opportunity in this rebound. When once didn't cash out UT, and actually the market take 2 years to correct until 1500 level, UT holder will stuck with it in 2 years period.

To buy in and cash out in UT, may be need a 3 to 5 years circle, not like individual share that you always have oppturnity in intermediate of the correction.

i think we are talking in different perspective..

when i said good to buy unit trust now.. it is not to cash out following a short-term rebound. it is meant for
1) dollar cost avegaring.. if they collected some before july
2) taking opportunity of current low price to add unit trust holding for long term investment

Offline kittima

• Viscount
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »

when i said good to buy unit trust now.. it is not to cash out following a short-term rebound. it is meant for
2) taking opportunity of current low price to add unit trust holding for long term investment

Exactly, and I feel we can buy lower price in next year, so why should I buy now to see the price keep dropping down in the next 2 years?

Offline serre04

• Civilian
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
Exactly, and I feel we can buy lower price in next year, so why should I buy now to see the price keep dropping down in the next 2 years?

well.. you feel it will be that way... then that's your decision. we never know  :)

Offline KLSE LOSSER

• Baronet
  • Wat to do tis year.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »
For me... I opt for both... UT is for my saving... I invest a fix amount into UT everymonth.
But for klse... If the price is right or company is good... Then I will place my bet.

Offline Power Ranger

• Knight
  • Trend Follower
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »

1) In my opinion, dollar cost averaging is not the best solution. This method is suitable for common people who do not know the art of timing or positioning. The best way to invest in unit trust is by mastering the art of "Trend Following".  ;)

2) Fully agreed with you investing in unit trust is for long term, but holding the same type of funds for long term irrespective of market conditions is not a good solution.  

3) We can stay invested in unit trust for long term but we must switch between "Equity Funds" and "Bond or Money Market Funds" based on market conditions is the correct method of investment.  

4) Currently, Malaysia market is trending downward, the correct strategy is to switch you investment into Money Market Fund.  ;)

Offline xezal

• Civilian
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »
A Malay daily newspaper dated 6th August 2006 reported that  80% of the EPF members who withdrew from their EPF savings to invest in unit trusts had suffered losses totaling RM600 million. There was also a report in The Star way back in Aug 8, 2006 that reads: “The Government, alarmed over the more than half billion ringgit losses reported from investments in unit trusts involving Employees Provident Fund (EPF) contributors, has directed the EPF to impose stricter conditions on such investments.”

Let me help you to analyze the implication of the report above. This statistic indicates that there are VERY HIGH chances of picking up a poor fund even though an investor works hard in research because 80% of the unit trusts in the market are craps. If 80% of the unit trusts in the market are good, then there are VERY LOW chances that one investor can pick up a poor fund even though he does it blindly without any research. So, how do you avoid stepping on a bomb in a landmine prone war zone? You must be INSANELY lucky!   :phew: :D