Watford
0 (0%)
West Bromwich Albion
0 (0%)
West Ham
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: August 03, 2015, 12:43:34 PM

Author Topic: Barclays Premier League 2015/16  (Read 26453 times)

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
Re: Barclays Premier League 2015/16
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
Aston Villa 0-1 Man United
87 mins
Wayne Rooney as captain makes me sad. Still no touch inside the box for the Manchester United striker.
Namotasapakawatoarahatosamasamputasa

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2015, 04:42:58 AM »
Tottenham Hotspur striker Roberto Soldado is returning to Spain to sign for Villarreal, according to a tweet from his team mate Erik Lamela and Spurs fans Soldado bumped into at Gatwick Airport on Thursday.

Soldado, 30, who cost Tottenham a then club record fee of 26 million pounds ($40.63 million) when he joined from Valencia two years ago, failed to reproduce the scoring form for Spurs he had previously shown in Spain, with 16 goals in 76 matches in all competitions.

He scored only one Premier League goal last season, and seven in all and although he remained popular with the fans for his never-say-die attitude, he never adapted to the greater physical demands of the English game.

Lamela's tweet all but confirmed Soldado's departure wishing him all the best at his new club.

The tweet came after Spurs fans posted pictures of themselves with Soldado at Gatwick Airport early on Thursday with the Spanish striker reportedly confirming to them he was flying out to sign for Villarreal.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino said last week that the striker was "in our plans" for the new season, but he had a different message when he spoke to the media on Thursday ahead of Saturday's Premier League match with Stoke City.

Although he said no deal had yet been finalised, he added: "He has been given permission to travel to Spain and the club will announce whether anything will happen or not."

Pochettino also said that Andros Townsend, who has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane, was training with the squad after recovering full fitness and was part of his plans for the season, while confirming that Emmanuel Adebayor and Aaron Lennon, who spent time on loan at Everton last season, were not.

Spurs are reportedly close to completing the 12 million pounds signing of Cameroon international Clinton Njie from Olympique Lyonnais, with the 21-year-old striker having a medical in London this week.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2015, 04:45:47 AM »
FULL-TIME
Aston Villa 0-1 Man Utd

Not a vintage display by any stretch of the imagination, but Manchester United have won their opening two games of a season for the first time since 2011.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2015, 04:47:06 AM »

(Reuters) - Swiss international Xherdan Shaqiri, who joined Stoke City for a club record fee this week, said he is fully fit and ready to make his Premier League debut against Tottenham Hotspur this weekend if manager Mark Hughes gave him the nod.

Shaqiri signed a five-term deal at the Britannia Stadium on Tuesday after the Potters agreed a 12 million pounds fee with Serie A giants Inter Milan.

"I can't wait to play my first game here because I am feeling really fit," the 23-year-old, who has also played for Bayern Munich, told the club's website.

"I have done a lot of good quality work throughout the summer with my last team so I am feeling good and strong.

"The coach will make the final decision though, but first of all I need to meet my new teammates and work with them in training. I can't wait to play and score goals for this club."

Hughes said Shaqiri is "flying" fit, but would not be drawn on whether his star signing would feature at the weekend.

Shaqiri, who was part of the Bayern Munich squad that won the Champions League in 2013-14, said Stoke could improve on last season's ninth place finish -- the club's best-ever end to a Premier League campaign.

"I was at the game (against Liverpool) on Sunday, as you know, and I really enjoyed the game -- it was good. Yes, Stoke lost the game in the end, but I saw things that really encouraged me," he said.

"I am sure that we will continue to play good football and win many games, and who knows maybe we can finish in a higher position than last season. The potential is absolutely huge here."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
Dutch under-21 midfielder Nathan Ake has agreed to spend this season on loan at promoted Watford after signing a new five-year contract with Chelsea, the Premier League champions said on Friday.

Ake arrived at Stamford Bridge in July 2011 and made his debut as a late second-half substitute in a 1-0 victory at Norwich City in December 2012.

Since then, however, the dreadlocked 20-year-old has made only sporadic first team appearances.

The midfielder also spent a month on loan at second tier Reading last season.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2015, 04:50:01 AM »
Manuel Pellegrini says it is too early to throw a knockout punch in the Premier League title race but the Manchester City manager is hoping to land the first blow against champions Chelsea on Sunday.

City began their campaign with a comfortable 3-0 win at West Bromwich Albion on Monday and three points against Chelsea, who drew 2-2 with Swansea City on Saturday, would give Pellegrini's men a five-point advantage over the champions.

"We are not thinking about the title in the second game but we are thinking about trying to win our points here at home, especially playing against the champions and the best team from last season," Pellegrini told a news conference on Friday.

"Especially also against one of the teams that has a lot of chances to win the title like Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, so to try to win the three points here at home is very important for our team."

Midfield powerhouse Yaya Toure, a dominant force in City's two Premier League title-winning sides in 2012 and 2014, failed to make the same impact at the Etihad last season.

However, the Ivorian was back to his imperious best against West Brom, scoring City's second goal from the edge of the box, and Pellegrini believes Toure will play an integral part in the club's bid to regain the title.

"Every player has good and bad games. I hope he can continue from Monday because he played very well," the Chilean said.

"Yaya last season, as every player, had good games and bad games. He's done very well this season.

"All of us hope that he will continue because he has done very well."

Midfielders Fabian Delph and Fernando are ruled out against Chelsea with injury but striker Aguero could be in contention as the Argentine continues to regain fitness after missing most of the pre-season due to his involvement in the Copa America.

Fellow strikers Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic have left City during the transfer window but Pellegrini said he was happy with his forward options.

"For the moment we have here (Wilfried) Bony, (Sergio) Aguero, (Raheem) Sterling and Kelechi (Iheanacho)," he said.

"I think the fourth striker must be a young player and in this case it is Kelechi.

"We have a good squad at this moment but if we can improve it in a couple of positions it is better."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
Southampton vs Everton (7:45pm)

Ronald Koeman has revealed that the frustration he felt at having to watch Southampton's 2-2 draw with Newcastle from afar led to him shouting at the television.

The Southampton manager was forbidden from travelling as he recovered from surgery after rupturing his Achilles so could only watch his team's opening Barclays Premier League fixture from his home in Holland.

He remains reliant on crutches and expects to soon progress from a cast to a boot but said that his greatest relief will be to return to the bench when Saints play Everton at St Mary's on Saturday.

''It was strange, because normally I'm part of the game, and watching television is not the best you can do,'' Koeman said. ''Even worse, if the team is not playing good, it makes it more difficult.

''In the first half [I shouted at the television], because we didn't play well, we did a lot of mistakes in our ball positions.

''If you stay at home you don't have control. I had contact with Scott [Waters, the performance analyst]. It was two times in the first half.

''I didn't really like to have to contact the bench because we know what we want and how we like to play, but it's more difficult, I like to be part of that, you can shout, you can do something, you can do substitutes if you're not happy but staying at home is different.

''We didn't have a long time to prepare for the Newcastle game after the Thursday game [a 2-0 win in the Europa League away to] Vitesse [Arnhem], to recover and prepare the team. For them it was strange, because it was the first time without the manager, and also strange for the technical staff.

''You think it's more easier [to be at the game] because you think you're more part of the team than you are watching television.''

New £5million signing Oriol Romeu is expected to make his Southampton debut after arriving from Chelsea.

Koeman will be without two other summer recruits, Steven Caulker (sinus infection) and Jordie Clasie (*), however, as well as Ryan Bertrand (knee) and long-term absentee Fraser Forster.

Everton midfielder Gareth Barry believes Ross Barkley has benefited from last season's difficulties.

The 21-year-old's struggles to recapture his scintillating form of manager Roberto Martinez's first campaign were almost symptomatic of the entire team's troubles which saw them finish a disappointing 11th.

Barkley managed just two goals, taking 11 matches to get off the mark, but has already opened his account with a fine strike in an encouraging performance in the opening 2-2 draw at home to Watford.

''Ross burst onto the scene and set his standards so high but inevitably it is impossible to keep those going continuously,'' Barry told Press Association Sport.

''I am sure last season he would have wanted to score more goals and have more assists but you can't continuously keep that upward curve going.

''But it will have been a good year for him in terms of his future and he started well with a fantastic goal.''

While Everton undoubtedly need more goals from midfield, and the arrival of Tom Cleverley and Gerard Deulofeu should assist in that, their fortunes are likely to be determined by the form of striker Romelu Lukaku.

The Belgium international scored 20 times last season but eight of those were in the Europa League and without the distraction of European football this season he will be expected to have much more of an impact in the Premier League.

''Every top team needs a goalscorer scoring 20 goals and in Rom I think we have a player who can do that year in, year out,'' added Barry.

''It is important he stays fit and gets his confidence going and he can achieve great things too.''

Everton defender Leighton Baines has been ruled out for three months after ankle surgery so 19-year-old Brendan Galloway is expected to deputise at left-back again.

Forward Kevin Mirallas has recovered from the ankle injury which forced him off against Watford last weekend.

Gerard Deulofeu, Aiden McGeady and Muhamed Besic all returned to training this week after missing last weekend's season-opener with * injuries.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
Sunderland vs Norwich City (10pm)

Di.ck Advocaat has warned his Sunderland players they are in trouble if they cannot summon up the aggression to avoid another Barclays Premier League survival fight.

The Dutchman admitted his shock at the Black Cats' capitulation at Leicester on the opening day of the season last Saturday, when they conceded three times inside 14 first-half minutes to surrender any chance of a positive result.

Video analysis during the week made for painful viewing for the 67-year-old and his squad, but Advocaat was pulling no punches ahead of Saturday's home clash with promoted Norwich.

Asked if he had been shocked by the performance at the King Power Stadium, he said: ''Yes, I was.

''In pre-season, we did not see a lot of good games - winning, losing, losing, winning, but not with convincing football.

''The last game against Hannover was a little bit better, more organisation, but there is no excuse for the way we played (against Leicester).

''If we think we can play that way, then we have no chance at all.

''If this team, this squad doesn't work and there is no aggression in the team to get the ball and to do something more, then we will find it very difficult.

''But we have discussed that and tomorrow they have to show me what they can do.''

Advocaat was equally unequivocal at the end of last season when asked what was needed to avoid the need for a repeat of his last-gasp rescue mission, recommending an influx of quality rather than quantity in the summer transfer market.

Holland international midfielder Jeremain Lens certainly fits the bill in that respect, while Adam Matthews and Yann M'Vila, who joins the senior squad for the first time this weekend, have also been added to the mix.

However, the club is desperate to boost its attacking options and Manchester United youngster Adnan Januzaj and former loan signing Fabio Borini are among a series of options currently under consideration.

Advocaat, however, refused to shed any light on the search for new recruits, saying only: ''We have still 14 days to go and there is no reason now to discuss a lot of things. Let's wait the next 14 days and then we have the facts.''

The head coach saw his resources depleted further this week by the loss of midfielder Adam Johnson to a shoulder injury, but a scan has revealed no lasting damage. He will be out for around six to seven weeks though.

Elsewhere, Jordi Gomez (knee) still missing and fellow midfielder Yann M'Vila has been included for the senior squad for the first time.

Norwich manager Alex Neil is determined to sign more players to bolster his squad.

But he accepts convincing the likes of Italy international Mattia Destro a move to Carrow Road would be an attractive proposition is not always easy.

The Canaries have been able to bring in some five players during the summer, including Andre Wisdom on loan from Liverpool and Robbie Brady in a £7million deal from Hull. However, the club has also been left frustrated in attempts to land another striker, being linked with Dynamo Kiev's £10million-rated Congo striker Dieumerci Mbokani as well as Destro, who is valued at around £4mllion by Roma.

Neil accepts Norwich being an unfashionable club was always likely to prove a difficult hurdle to overcome.

''The problem we are finding at the moment in terms of recruitment is some of the players we are trying to attract don't see us as a good proposition to come and play for,'' Neil said at a press conference.

''Another thing which makes it difficult for us is the valuation, and of British players it is ridiculous how much some of them go for in comparison to foreign players.

''However, then the problem with foreign players is they have not done it here, and then you are also taking a gamble there.

''Getting that balance right is going to be a calculated gamble as well, you have to do as much homework as you can.

''We are still chasing top targets, and I won't just sign players who I think will be another number, I need to add to the group, to make us stronger and better, which is why it is probably taking a bit longer to get people in.''

Neil confirmed Roma frontman Destro was one of his targets.

He said: ''There are ongoing negotiations with quite a few players, not just players but clubs and agent and different things like that, but yes, he is a player who has been discussed.''

Norwich have no fresh injury concerns ahead of the trip.

Nathan Redmond is pressing for a starting place after coming off the bench to score in the 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace, as is forward Cameron Jerome. :speechless:

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
Swansea vs Newcastle (10pm)

Swansea manager Garry Monk feels Newcastle are already benefiting from Steve McClaren's early-summer appointment.

Monk has never met McClaren, let alone come up against a side managed by the former England boss, but he says he has prepared himself for a tough tactical examination ahead of Newcastle's visit to the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

Both sides drew their opening Barclays Premier League games - Swansea holding champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and Newcastle also sharing four goals against Southampton - and Monk said it is clear that McClaren is already making his mark at St James' Park having brought Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba to Tyneside.

"They've made that change early and he (McClaren) has had a summer to prepare," Monk said.

"Newcastle have always been a big club and attract good players but they've added quality this summer.

"The manager will have a new way of working I'm sure and it's a fresh start for those players.

"I think you saw that in pre-season and in the performance against Southampton so we're expecting a really tough game.

"Steve has been a national manager and coached at the top level as well so you'd expect him to be tactically clever and be able to manipulate the game.

"It will be interesting to see how he reacts to certain situations in the game, how he changes it if it's going good or bad for them and then how you react to that."

Swansea have a better record against Newcastle than any other team since being promoted to the Premier League four years ago.

The Welsh club have won five of their eight meetings with only one defeat, but Monk insists he does not put any store in the fixture's recent history.

"We've just played well in those games," Monk said.

"There's no given right to win any game and I don't look at those statistics, I just look at it is an individual match.

"We've done well in those games in the past but it's a new game, a new season, a new team and a new manager for them.

"They will have a different approach so we have to treat it as an individual game on that merit."

Swansea will assess Ki Sung-yueng ahead of the game.

The South Korean midfielder was forced off in the first half of the opening-day 2-2 draw against Chelsea with a sore * and Jack Cork, an impressive replacement at Stamford Bridge, will start if Ki does not make it.

Jefferson Montero was also taken off at Chelsea as a precaution after cramping up but the Ecuador winger is fit and available for Swansea's first home game of the season.

Meanwhile, McClaren is hopeful there will be further new arrivals at Newcastle during the final two weeks of the transfer window to boost the feel-good factor on Tyneside.

He said: "There's still a long way to go in terms of settling everybody down. There are a few who have been left out who are obviously not happy - and that's normal - and a few who have a bit to prove.

"Pre-season, the first game, another week's training - we are getting towards what we want to move on with, and still with two weeks to go, things will happen in the window.

"We will wait and see."

McClaren has confirmed that striker Emmanuel Riviere has undergone minor surgery to repair a knee cartilage.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
Tottenham vs Stoke (10pm)

Mauricio Pochettino is confident Tottenham will this weekend exact revenge on Stoke after defeats home and away last season.

During a topsy-turvy first season at the White Hart Lane helm, one of the undoubted troughs for the former Argentina international came in November's home clash with the Potters.

That 2-1 home defeat was Spurs' third loss in four league games and led pressure to mount on Pochettino - a sticky period he survived and moved on from, leading the club to the Capital One Cup final and a fifth-placed finish.

Stoke once again exposed the north Londoners' soft underbelly before the season was out, though, winning 3-0 in May, giving Pochettino even more motivation to triumph when the sides meet again on Saturday.

"It's true the last two games that we played at White Hart Lane and the Britannia Stadium we lost, but it's a good opportunity to take our revenge," Pochettino said of Saturday's match.

"It's a different season, we're happy with our performance - disappointed with the result - against Manchester United but I think the way we played, our performance was good.

"We need to show on Saturday that we deserved more."

Spurs were without a number of key players last weekend as they opened the season with a 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford.

However, those injury issues have eased markedly since then, with Danny Rose, Andros Townsend, Alex Pritchard and, most importantly, Hugo Lloris fit to face the Potters.

"This week was fantastic for everyone," Pochettino said. "All the players are fit and this is good news for us.

"The only shame is we can only pick 18 players for Saturday, but we're very happy because all the players are fit.

"Hugo and Alex Pritchard played on Monday for the Under-21s against Everton, and Danny Rose and Townsend are training in a normal way.

"Danny had a little problem last week but he's been training in a normal way."

Meanwhile, Stoke boss Mark Hughes admits he may have created a nice problem for himself with the squad he has assembled for this season.

The latest eye-catching arrival at the Britannia Stadium is Xherdan Shaqiri, who joined the Potters from Inter Milan for a club-record B£12million on Tuesday.

The Switzerland international adds to an array of attackers at Stoke including fellow new recruit Ibrahim Afellay, Bojan Krkic, Marko Arnautovic and Jon Walters.

Those are all options wide of or just off a central striker, with the contenders for the more advanced position being Mame Biram Diouf, Peter Odemwingie, Joselu - another summer signing - and Peter Crouch.

Hughes concedes making the best use of what he has and trying to keep everyone happy could prove tricky - but it is something he is more than willing to tackle.

"The key is to increase the quality and that is undoubtedly what we have done," Hughes said ahead of the trip to Spurs.

"It is never easy - you have to get the balance right and make sure you pick the right team for the right game, which is my job.

"But what we do have now, and what we found last year to be really important, is strength in depth that maybe we haven't had in other years.

"Last year that enabled us to have the season we did, despite having a number of long-term injuries to key players, and we are going to need that strength in depth again.

"When everybody is fit, it is a little bit more difficult, because you have to try to keep everyone happy. But it's a nice problem and one I've dealt with before."

Shaqiri has declared himself fit to make his debut from the start at White Hart Lane. Hughes is also likely to have Arnautovic back as well as defender Marc Wilson, after the pair missed the Liverpool match due to thigh and ankle problems respectively.

Two other forwards - Odemwingie (*) and Bojan (knee) are not yet ready while skipper Ryan Shawcross (back) faces between two and three months out.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Watford vs WBA (10pm)

Watford head coach Quique Flores has told his players to be ready for high balls and a physical battle as they aim to secure their first win of the season against West Brom on Saturday.

The Hornets made an encouraging start to life in the Barclays Premier League last weekend as they secured a 2-2 draw away to Everton.

West Brom however, will present an altogether different challenge for Flores' side, with the Baggies looking to bounce back from a 3-0 opening defeat against Manchester City.

"The match against West Brom, it will be completely different in terms of the technical and tactical approach," Flores said.

"Since the start of the week I have forgotten completely what happened in the last match.

"I have tried to correct the mistakes of course, the players know what we want to improve, but West Brom and Everton are different teams and have completely different styles.

"We are ready to play this kind of match. West Brom are a very close team, very strong, physical, balls in the air, they have really good players.

"They try to play together, the individual lines are very short. We have to plan how we want to control the match."

Hornets duo Almen Abdi and Steven Berghuis are available for the clash at Vicarage Road after the pair recovered from knee and leg injuries respectively but Miguel Britos and Giedrius Arlauskis are suspended.

Salomon Rondon faces a race against time to make his West Brom debut as the £12million man battles for fitness.

The Baggies' record buy has been training this week after his switch from Zenit St Petersburg was rubber-stamped on Monday.

Albion go to Watford with Baggies boss Tony Pulis running the rule over Rondon's fitness, along with that of Arsenal loanee Serge Gnabry.

The pair could make the trip to Vicarage Road with Pulis hopeful his new boys will be available.

"He's done very well," Pulis said of Rondon.

"Him and Gnabry have spent a lot of time working with the fitness coach.

"But Salomon has showed a great attitude, he's a great lad and we've been impressed with him. He reminds me a little bit of Demba Ba in the way he wants to run off shoulders and is quick and strong.

"He is that type. He has got that willingness to get to where you want him to be, which is in behind defences.

"They have worked hard in the last week or so, the two of them, and I will assess it with the medical team to see if they're ready, if not to start then for the bench."

Gareth McAuley is also available after a calf injury ruled him out of Monday's 3-0 defeat to Manchester City.

The Baggies are looking to recover from their opening defeat, where Pulis admitted he got his tactics wrong, and they head to the Hornets with the boss braced for a tough opening.

He said: "The first four games of the season are very difficult for us.

"To have Man City and Chelsea as the two home games to start with is very difficult, then to play a newly promoted team on their first home game is tough. Then we have a derby with Stoke.

"The transfer window is still going on and things are going on behind the scenes so these four games are always going to be difficult.

"Watford have signed some good players from abroad and they look strong, they look as if they have brought good players into the country."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
Westham vs Leicester (10pm)

Angelo Ogbonna has revealed Slaven Bilic sold him on his vision for West Ham and used the lure of regular football to convince him to move to Upton Park.

The Italy international picked up two Serie A titles during his time with Juventus and was an unused substitute in May's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

Since then he has become the second player of the summer - after Dimitri Payet - to move to West Ham for an eight-figure fee but scored an unfortunate own goal on his debut against Astra Giurgiu in the Europa League qualifiers.

Ogbonna returned to the heart of Bilic's defence in Sunday's 2-0 victory over London rivals Arsenal and will retain his place alongside Winston Reid for the home game against Leicester.

And the 27-year-old said it was talks with Bilic, as well as the promise of first-team football, that saw him leave the relative comfort of Italy's top club to join a side which finished 12th in the Premier League last season.

"I talked with the manager and he explained to me what he wants to do with this club," Ogbonna told Press Association Sport.

"The manager sold me the story and I feel it is better for my career to come to West Ham now. I know I will play now and I don't think about last year. I have to think about this year.

"I am very happy but it (the Arsenal win) was only the first match so we are looking forward and not just thinking about what we did in the first match. We knew it was a difficult game but there are a lot of difficult games so we have to concentrate on the next game and take things step by step."

Diafra Sakho will be involved despite his arrest last week, according to boss Bilic.

The Senegal striker was arrested of suspicion of assault but Bilic believes he is in the right frame of mind to lead the line against the Foxes, while Carl Jenkinson is available having been ineligible to face parent club Arsenal last weekend and Pedro Obiang is fit to make his debut if called upon.

Forwards Andy Carroll and Enner Valencia (both knee) remain sidelined, as does defender Joey O'Brien (*). Midfielder Morgan Amalfitano is not in contention having been made to train with the youth team following a disagreement with Bilic.

Leicester travel looking to build on their winning start to the season, after beginning the campaign with a 4-2 home victory over Sunderland.

However, manager Claudio Ranieri was quick to praise the Hammers for their eye-catching result, saying: "They had a very good result, better than us. Who could believe Arsenal would lose the match? I watched the match and West Ham were outstanding.

"(West Ham manager) Slaven Bilic has really good experience of the national team, he knows West Ham well.

"I think it will be an open game, they can win, we can win and even a draw is alright."

Ranieri is targeting only one more signing before the transfer window closes - with a midfielder the missing piece in the jigsaw for the Leicester manager.

The Foxes have brought in five players so far this summer in the shape of Robert Huth, Shinji Okazaki, Christian Fuchs, N'Golo Kante and Yohan Benalouane, with the latter two arriving since Ranieri's appointment a month ago.

The Italian's third new addition is likely to be a replacement for Esteban Cambiasso, who played a crucial role in keeping the Midlands club in the Barclays Premier League last season.

Leicester have been linked with several midfielders, the latest of which is Napoli's Switzerland international Gokhan Inler, although Ranieri is not keen on the idea of flooding the Foxes team with foreign imports.

Asked about his transfer plans, Ranieri said: "One more. A midfielder. I think one is enough. Of course, if two arrive then I'm happy!

"Now I work in England I want an English player, because I think it is important to understand the mentality of the nation. In England I want an English player. In Spain I want more Spanish players. In Italy I want Italian players.

"This is my philosophy. The player who comes must understand the English philosophy - you must play hard until the end of the match.

"That is important. If you change too much from this then the philosophy could change too much, which is not good.

"First we choose the English player then we make comparisons with other players and choose which is best for us. But sometimes clubs go abroad because the English player costs too much."

Leicester make the trip with only midfielder Matty James set to miss the game due to his knee problem.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
Southampton vs Everton (7:45pm)

Ronald Koeman has revealed that the frustration he felt at having to watch Southampton's 2-2 draw with Newcastle from afar led to him shouting at the television.

The Southampton manager was forbidden from travelling as he recovered from surgery after rupturing his Achilles so could only watch his team's opening Barclays Premier League fixture from his home in Holland.

He remains reliant on crutches and expects to soon progress from a cast to a boot but said that his greatest relief will be to return to the bench when Saints play Everton at St Mary's on Saturday.

''It was strange, because normally I'm part of the game, and watching television is not the best you can do,'' Koeman said. ''Even worse, if the team is not playing good, it makes it more difficult.

''In the first half [I shouted at the television], because we didn't play well, we did a lot of mistakes in our ball positions.

''If you stay at home you don't have control. I had contact with Scott [Waters, the performance analyst]. It was two times in the first half.

''I didn't really like to have to contact the bench because we know what we want and how we like to play, but it's more difficult, I like to be part of that, you can shout, you can do something, you can do substitutes if you're not happy but staying at home is different.

''We didn't have a long time to prepare for the Newcastle game after the Thursday game [a 2-0 win in the Europa League away to] Vitesse [Arnhem], to recover and prepare the team. For them it was strange, because it was the first time without the manager, and also strange for the technical staff.

''You think it's more easier [to be at the game] because you think you're more part of the team than you are watching television.''

New £5million signing Oriol Romeu is expected to make his Southampton debut after arriving from Chelsea.

Koeman will be without two other summer recruits, Steven Caulker (sinus infection) and Jordie Clasie (*), however, as well as Ryan Bertrand (knee) and long-term absentee Fraser Forster.

Everton midfielder Gareth Barry believes Ross Barkley has benefited from last season's difficulties.

The 21-year-old's struggles to recapture his scintillating form of manager Roberto Martinez's first campaign were almost symptomatic of the entire team's troubles which saw them finish a disappointing 11th.

Barkley managed just two goals, taking 11 matches to get off the mark, but has already opened his account with a fine strike in an encouraging performance in the opening 2-2 draw at home to Watford.

''Ross burst onto the scene and set his standards so high but inevitably it is impossible to keep those going continuously,'' Barry told Press Association Sport.

''I am sure last season he would have wanted to score more goals and have more assists but you can't continuously keep that upward curve going.

''But it will have been a good year for him in terms of his future and he started well with a fantastic goal.''

While Everton undoubtedly need more goals from midfield, and the arrival of Tom Cleverley and Gerard Deulofeu should assist in that, their fortunes are likely to be determined by the form of striker Romelu Lukaku.

The Belgium international scored 20 times last season but eight of those were in the Europa League and without the distraction of European football this season he will be expected to have much more of an impact in the Premier League.

''Every top team needs a goalscorer scoring 20 goals and in Rom I think we have a player who can do that year in, year out,'' added Barry.

''It is important he stays fit and gets his confidence going and he can achieve great things too.''

Everton defender Leighton Baines has been ruled out for three months after ankle surgery so 19-year-old Brendan Galloway is expected to deputise at left-back again.

Forward Kevin Mirallas has recovered from the ankle injury which forced him off against Watford last weekend.

Gerard Deulofeu, Aiden McGeady and Muhamed Besic all returned to training this week after missing last weekend's season-opener with * injuries.

22   Maarten Stekelenburg   
2   Cédric Soares   
3   Maya Yoshida   
6   José Fonte   
33   Matt Targett   
8   Steven Davis   
12   Victor Wanyama   
7   Shane Long   
10   Sadio Mané   
11   Dušan Tadić   
19   Graziano Pellè   
Substitutes
25   Paulo Gazzaniga   
15   Cuco Martina   
Oriol Romeu   
16   James Ward-Prowse   
18   Harrison Reed   
9   Jay Rodriguez   
20   Juanmi   

24   Tim Howard   
5   John Stones   
6   Phil Jagielka   
23   Séamus Coleman   
32   Brendan Galloway   
15   Tom Cleverley   
16   James McCarthy   
18   Gareth Barry   
20   Ross Barkley   
9   Arouna Koné   
10   Romelu Lukaku   
Substitutes
1   Joel   
27   Tyias Browning   
11   Kevin Mirallas   
17   Muhamed Bešić   
21   Leon Osman   
14   Steven Naismith   
19   Deulofeu

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
25" Southampton 0-1 Everton

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
25" Southampton 0-1 Everton
45" Southampton 0-2 Everton

Lukaku scores twice

Offline Oly Shyte

• Duke
  • I EAT ????????
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »
Everyone was betting their monies on Arsenal because of their active transfer market and good pre seasons results.  :giggle:

Disclaimer: Every "I EAT" thread created were totally owned by Oly Shyte based on personal observation. It does not represent any stock promotion, buy, hold or sell call and most importantly gathering followers. Please make your own decision wisely! - OLY Securities Research

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Everyone was betting their monies on Arsenal because of their active transfer market and good pre seasons results.  :giggle:
Arsenal only got one signing this season, which is Cech from Chelsea

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2015, 09:30:50 PM »
70" Southampton 0-2 Everton

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2015, 10:00:05 PM »
FT  Southampton 0-3 Everton

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
20'

Sunderland 0-0 Norwich City

Swansea City 1-0 Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Stoke City

Watford 0-0 West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United 0-0 Leicester City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »
HT

Sunderland 0-2 Norwich City

Swansea City 1-0 Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Stoke City

West Ham United 0-2 Leicester City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »
70'

Sunderland 0-3 Norwich City

Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Stoke City

West Ham United 1-2 Leicester City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
FT

Sunderland 1-3 Norwich City

Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur 2-2 Stoke City

West Ham United 1-2 Leicester City

Offline Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
    • Investlah - Malaysia's Biggest Investment Forum
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2015, 12:40:54 AM »
Lets give a big applause of appreciation to Mr Orient for his hard work and effort to report on the football news

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Can someone to give me a Loan and then leave me Alone?

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2015, 01:12:09 AM »
Lets give a big applause of appreciation to Mr Orient for his hard work and effort to report on the football news

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Haha that's fine. It's my interest  :handshake:

Offline Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2015, 01:28:11 AM »
Haha that's fine. It's my interest  :handshake:

My other interest is to see Arsenal wins  :D

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2015, 02:22:56 AM »
My other interest is to see Arsenal wins  :D
Tomorrow we will see. Arsenal will visit Crystal Palace

Offline Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2015, 02:28:12 AM »
Tomorrow we will see. Arsenal will visit Crystal Palace

Its like Maserati racing Proton Kancil, no sweat. :D

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2015, 02:33:20 AM »
Its like Maserati racing Proton Kancil, no sweat. :D
Dont judge so fast, they lost at home to Westham last week. And Westham lost at home to Leicester just now. Afterall ball is round in shape

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »
Sunderland must find a quick solution after another shocking display on Saturday, a 3-1 home defeat by Norwich, left them stuck at the foot of the Premier League, manager Dic.k Advocaat said.

The defensive fragility that haunted Sunderland against Leicester City in a 4-2 opening defeat arose again as Norwich City made off with victory at the Stadium of Light.

Bookmakers have already installed Sunderland as favourites for the drop and Advocaat, who extended his stay at the club after saving them from relegation last term, will need all his managerial skills to turn his side around.

He said he will hold a meeting with his squad to try and work out where it is going wrong.

"It was even worse than last week," Advocaat said, which is quite a statement considering the scorn poured on Sunderland's poor defending at Leicester.

"We have to discuss with the players how we go on.

"We have to find the solution, because otherwise we have no chance."

Thousands of fans had already left the stadium when 21-year-old debutant Duncan Whatmore scored an 88th-minute consolation against Norwich, with many calling on the club chairman to spend more money.

Yet Sunderland have added to the squad in the summer, with defenders Younes Kaboul, Sebastian Coates and Adam Matthews coming in along with midfielders Jeremain Lens and Yann M'Vila.

"Even this squad must be good enough to get a better result against Norwich, with five new players, but there is something wrong, that's quite simple," Advocaat added.

"It was the same in pre-season and you hoped it would change but it is not changing.

"I have an idea about it, but tomorrow we will have a meeting and they can talk and I will talk. Myself as well, I am responsible for that, no doubt."

Sunderland will need a quick fix because they face in-form Swansea next week.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2015, 04:26:52 AM »
Claudio Ranieri praised his side's fighting qualities as Leicester City moved to the top of the Premier League table with a 2-1 victory at West Ham United on Saturday.

The much-travelled Italian, back in English football after losing his job at Chelsea in 2004, may have fewer big names to work with than he was used to with his squads at the likes of Roma, Inter Milan and Valencia.

But after impressive wins over Sunderland and now a West Ham side who disposed of Arsenal last week, he said his Leicester players have impressed him with their work ethic.

"I think it was a fantastic first half," Ranieri, whose side won with first half goals from Shinji Okazaki and Riyad Mahrez and a resolute second-half defence, told Leicester's website.

"The second half was normal and with West Ham at home they wanted to come back They pushed us a lot.

"I love when the players give everything, that makes me very happy. Of course when you get the result it's much better but when you give everything, you can have everything.

"In the dressing room I've said how pleased I am with all my players, not just those who start and who come off the bench, but all the players because they have worked hard all week.

"We may win, draw or lose, but we will fight in every match," he said.

The Foxes face Tottenham Hotspur at home next week.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (8:30pm)

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has described Arsene Wenger as one of the great managers ahead of their Barclays Premier League match-up on Sunday.

Palace take on Arsenal at Selhurst Park hoping to extend a poor start to the season for the Gunners, who suffered a shock defeat to West Ham on the opening weekend.

Pardew and Wenger have not always enjoyed a harmonious relationship.

The pair clashed on the touchline in 2006 when Wenger took exception to Pardew celebrating a last-minute winner for West Ham, and Pardew has also criticised the Frenchman for failing to promote English players.

The Eagles boss, however, insists those disagreements are now firmly in the past and praised Wenger's lasting contribution to the Premier League.

"On the touchline we all have run-ins - we've both been in this game a long time," Pardew said.

"In my opinion he is one of the great managers, absolutely. I don't think we'd ever seen the type of football played in the Premier League before Arsene.

"He definitely educated coaches and managers in this country on the beauty of possession.

"He's a very brave manager to play the way he does week in, week out and stick to the principles he has.

"Of course, at the level he's at, winning is of paramount importance.

"In the last couple of years he's been under pressure. Those FA Cup wins (2014 and 2015) have cemented his position and given him the chance to win the league this year."

Palace have not beaten Arsenal since October 1994, but the Eagles are in confident mood after victory against newly-promoted Norwich last weekend.

"It makes a different kind of statement about this season if we beat them," Pardew said.

"We need to play our game. Our performance at Norwich was below our best.

"We were still very good at times and that's what we can do - we're very good at moments in the game and some of those moments can put us in the driving seat.

"We want more control this year of games and that will be something that will be interesting to see - whether we can wrestle control from teams like Arsenal."

Wenger is under no illusions about the challenge facing his side and believes this season will show the depth of quality in the top flight.

He said: "It will certainly be a tighter and tougher league because the quality of teams in the lower half of the table has improved.

"What gives you a good indication is if you look at the bench of the team you play against. Now, when you look at the teams in the second part of the table and you look at their bench, it indicates that you will have tough games."

Olivier Giroud remains confident he can prove himself the right man to lead Arsenal's attack.

The France international has again seen his position come under scrutiny as the Gunners have been linked with a big-money move for Karim Benzema from Real Madrid.

However, 6ft 3ins frontman Giroud - who netted 19 goals last season despite being out for three months with a broken leg - has no doubts he has what it takes to spearhead Arsenal's title challenge.

"I showed great mental strength last year and I had good stats," said Giroud, whose injury-time strike settled a 4-0 FA Cup final victory over Aston Villa at Wembley.

"I always try to improve myself so yes, I am sure I can bring something more to the team and to my team-mates."

After an opening day to forget, the 28-year-old accepts things must improve if Arsenal are to get a positive result at Palace.

"Unfortunately we have made mistakes we will learn from them and try not to do it again," he said.

"We can succeed to play our game, we want to bounce back on Sunday."

Giroud believes Wenger's current squad do have what it takes to mount a serious title challenge.

He added: "When you want to win the league it is always a mix of skill and mental quality, technique and tactical.

"You cannot win the league without mental strength, so obviously we need that and I think we have got it in our squad, the team is fantastic, like our understanding between us. I think we can do well with that."

Full-back Hector Bellerin should return to the Arsenal squad after a thigh strain and Chile forward Alexis Sanchez could start having stepped up his training this week after an extended break, but forward Danny Welbeck is not yet fit due to a knee problem.

Palace striker Marouane Chamakh is unlikely to face his former club as he is still recovering from a * problem while goalkeeper Julian Speroni is also out with a finger injury.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »
Manchester City Vs Chelsea (11pm)

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini claims his established stars are driven by a hunger to win rather than a desire to prove doubters wrong.

Senior stars such as two-time title-winners Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany fell below their usual high standards as City meekly surrendered the Barclays Premier League crown last season.

Consequently City were not widely tipped for the title in pre-season but Monday's impressive 3-0 opening win at West Brom has provided a reminder of their quality.

Toure and Kompany were both outstanding at The Hawthorns while another of the cornerstones of their past successes, David Silva, also shone.

Pellegrini said: "All of them, not only Vincent and Yaya and players who had a lot of criticism, they are not thinking about why they were criticised. They are thinking about their performances. They want to be important players and win titles."

City have rejuvenated their squad with the club record B£49million signing of Raheem Sterling over the summer. Midfielder Fabian Delph is another fresh face while the club have also been continually linked with Wolfsburg's Kevin de Bruyne.

Yet much will still depend on the established core, which also includes the likes of goalkeeper Joe Hart and striker Sergio Aguero, and Pellegrini believes many of them are now reaching their peak.

He said: "The important thing for them is to be ambitious, to have a winning mind, to try to continue to win titles and improve in Europe. They have a lot of challenges and our most important players are in their best ages."

City face a stern early test of their title credentials as champions Chelsea visit the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Toure will hope to maintain the momentum after his particularly eye-catching, goalscoring display on Monday. He did leave the field with a groin problem late on but that was only a precautionary measure and he is fit to feature against Jose Mourinho's men.

The Ivory Coast international was the midfield driving force for City's last title win in 2014 but he never seemed to get going last season after much-publicised difficulties during the summer.

Pellegrini said: "Yaya is very important for us. We have important players and we can play without those players, but it is better when we have Yaya in the team and playing in a good way.

"I prefer always to play with Yaya. I hope he will be a regular for the whole year and be very important.

"He played very well (on Monday) and we all hope he will continue in the same way."

Aguero is also pushing for a starting spot. Pellegrini used him off the bench at West Brom because his pre-season was limited by international duty.

Thibaut Courtois will miss out after Chelsea failed to overturn the goalkeeper's red card - an outcome that did not surprise manager Jose Mourinho.

It has been a tumultuous week at Stamford Bridge following the 2-2 draw at home to Swansea in the Blues' season opener.

The furore over the demotion of first-team doctor Eva Carneiro and physio Jon Fearn has dominated the headlines, with Mourinho confirming neither will be on the bench at the Etihad Stadium this weekend.

Another absentee in the north-west will be Courtois, whose red card against Swansea means he will serve a one-match ban after Chelsea failed in their appeal.

"No, I am not surprised," Mourinho said of that result. "I am not surprised because normally I know we are not normally successful in these.

"What happened to Nemanja Matic last year against Burnley, what happened to Diego Costa against Liverpool in the Capital One Cup, normally we are not successful and normally the committees support the referee decisions.

"When the referee decides that it is a red card, normally 99 per cent of the time the committees don't go against the decision and they support the referees' decision. So I never thought he could be available."

It means summer signing Asmir Begovic is set for his full Chelsea debut at City - a match Brazil playmaker Oscar could miss after sustaining a knock in training.

Diego Costa has been given the green light to start, having overcome a recurring * problem to play the full 90 minutes against Swansea.

Mourinho's pre-match press conferences were marked by tension over the issue surrounding his medical staff as he at one point threatened to walk out in frustration at the extent of questioning.

Having given a lengthy answer and as another question on the matter was readied, an exasperated Mourinho snapped: "Don't make me another question or I go. I go. Think twice before you ask the question. Think twice."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
LINEUPS

Crystal Palace: McCarthy; Ward, Dann, Delaney, Souaré; McArthur, Cabaye; Zaha, Puncheon, Bolasie; Wickham.

Subs: Hennessey, Mariappa, Jedinak, Mutch, Lee, Bamford, Murray.

Arsenal: Cech; Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Coquelin, Ramsey; Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis; Giroud

Subs: Ospina, Debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
LINEUPS

Crystal Palace: McCarthy; Ward, Dann, Delaney, Souaré; McArthur, Cabaye; Zaha, Puncheon, Bolasie; Wickham.

Subs: Hennessey, Mariappa, Jedinak, Mutch, Lee, Bamford, Murray.

Arsenal: Cech; Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Coquelin, Ramsey; Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis; Giroud

Subs: Ospina, Debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott.

Arsenal 1-0. Giroud scores

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
Arsenal 1-0. Giroud scores
28' Crystal 1-1 Arsenal

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2015, 10:42:16 PM »
28' Crystal 1-1 Arsenal

FT CRYSTAL 1-2 ARSENAL

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
22' MC 0-0 Chelsea

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
22' MC 0-0 Chelsea
50' MC 1-0

Sergio Aguero

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2015, 12:47:22 AM »
79' MC 2-0

Aguero, Kompany

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2015, 01:03:07 AM »
FT MC 3-0 Chelsea

Aguero, Kompany, Fernandinho

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2015, 05:43:30 AM »
Clingon Njie (Lyon to Tottenham)

Tottenham Hotspur have boosted their depleted forward line by signing Cameroon international Clinton Njie from Olympique Lyonnais for an undisclosed fee on Saturday.

"We're delighted to announce the signing of Clinton Njie, subject to international clearance and work permit," the club said in a statement.

The 22-year-old, who has scored six goals in 11 appearances for his country, can play centre forward or in one of the wide attacking positions and has signed a five-year contract with Spurs, who finished fifth last season.

Njie managed eight goals for Lyon in 33 appearances last term as they finished runners-up behind Paris St Germain.

Spurs, who lost 1-0 to Manchester United in their opening Premier League match of the season, only have Harry Kane as a recognised striker after selling the under-performing Roberto Soldado to Villarreal on Friday.

Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor also looks to be on the way out of the north London club after hardly featuring in the first team during Mauricio Pochettino's first season as manager last year.

The former Arsenal, Real Madrid and Manchester City striker has not been given a squad number with Spurs, suggesting his days at White Hart Lane are numbered.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:39 AM »
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho described his team's 3-0 Premier League defeat at Manchester City on Sunday as a "fake" result.

But the reality, however much it hurts, is that Chelsea could hardly have made a more unconvincing start to the defence of their crown, on or off the pitch.

A Community Shield defeat by Arsenal was shrugged off as irrelevant, but something looked seriously amiss a week later in a fortunate 2-2 draw at home to Swansea City in which keeper Thibaut Courtois was red-carded.

That poor display was overshadowed by Mourinho's removal of club doctor Eva Carneiro from bench duty after describing her as "naive" for tending to Eden Hazard -- leaving Chelsea temporarily reduced to nine men.

Worse was to follow on Sunday, though, as Mourinho suffered his joint-heaviest defeat as a Premier League manager.

A listless display at City's Etihad Stadium, particularly in the first half, allowed Chelsea's main title rivals to steal a march and move five points clear.

The biggest bombshell, however, was long-term captain and defensive colossus John Terry being substituted at halftime for tactical reasons -- the first time Mourinho had ever taken his trusty skipper off in the heat of battle.

The only good news on Sunday was the signing of left back Abdul Rahman Baba from Bundesliga club Augsburg -- a welcome recruit after a summer in which Chelsea failed to significantly upgrade last year's model.

So dominant last season when cruising to the title, Chelsea have looked under-cooked so far.

Not since 1998 have they failed to win either of their opening league games and while a five-point deficit on City with 108 more points to play for is no crisis -- a return to form cannot come soon enough.

Yet Mourinho was having none of it after goals from Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho sent City top.

"3-0 is completely fake," Mourinho told reporters.

Speaking to Chelsea's TV channel later, he added: "In the second half we controlled every aspect of the game.

"Then one corner, one mistake and 2-0. The best team in the first half won and the best team in the second half lost."

Terry's position in the team will dominate the week ahead as Chelsea prepare to face West Bromwich Albion.

"I had to decide on John or (Gary) Cahill because Zouma is the fastest player we have in our defensive line," Mourinho explained of his decision to hook Terry.

"The point was not to bring John out but to bring Zouma in. I wanted to have my fastest player on the pitch.

"I'm the one that plays John every game, made him captain, brought him back from a difficult situation with other managers."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2015, 06:07:34 AM »
The Premier League season is only a week old but the problems are already piling up for misfiring champions Chelsea after a 3-0 thrashing at Manchester City on Sunday.

Goals by Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho were the least City deserved for a dominant display against a side who took 70 minutes to register a shot on target.

While a buoyant City top the table with six points, six goals scored and none conceded, Chelsea have one point after failing to win either of their opening two fixtures for the first time since 1998.

Chelsea's troubles will not have gone unnoticed by Arsenal who belatedly got their season into gear with a 2-1 derby win at Crystal Palace -- Damien Delaney's own goal sealing their first points of the season.

The sense of unease in the Chelsea camp was increased when talismanic skipper John Terry was substituted at halftime -- the first time he had ever been hauled off by manager Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho later confirmed that Terry had been replaced by pacey central defender Kurt Zouma for tactical reasons.

The Portuguese caused controversy last week when criticising first-team doctor Eva Carneiro for treating Eden Hazard and leaving Chelsea temporarily with nine men in the opening day draw with Swansea City and he faces another testing week.

Mourinho was already on the offensive, though, saying Chelsea's defeat by City had been undeserved.

"The best team in the first half won the game. The best team in the second half was Chelsea for sure," he told Sky Sports.

"Second half everything was different. If the 1-0 was a doubtful result at minute 70, 3-0 is completely fake."

PUZZLING ANALYSIS

Chelsea did regroup well but his analysis was still puzzling.

"It was a comfortable game. To start the way we did today is definitely the right signal but there's still a lot to come," City captain Kompany said.

Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Swansea came a week after defeat by FA Cup winners Arsenal in the Community Shield and was followed by Mourinho's removal of Carneiro from bench duties.

His team needed a response on Sunday but they were outplayed in the opening 45 minutes.

Aguero had already been causing Terry and central defensive partner Gary Cahill headaches and had three sights of goal in the opening 30 minutes before finally putting his side ahead.

The Argentine played a one-two with Yaya Toure in a crowded area, wriggled into space past a lumbering Cahill and fired the ball just inside Asmir Begovic's post.

Eliaquim Mangala should have made it 2-0 when he headed wide as Cahill was flattened by his own goalie. Tempers then flared as Fernandinho's elbow left a furious Costa bloodied.

Hazard had Chelsea's one real chance in the 70th minute but fired a shot straight at Joe Hart before City's defenders cleared the loose ball with Costa lurking.

Kompany's glancing header gave City breathing space before Branislav Ivanovic gave the ball away and Fernandinho completed Chelsea's misery with a clinical finish past Begovic, who could have expected more protection on his first start in place of the suspended Thibaut Courtois.

Arsenal had Alexis Sanchez back in their starting line-up and it was the Chile forward's 55th-minute header that was turned into his own net by Delaney as Arsenal responded to last week's home defeat by West Ham United.

"I'm very pleased with the three points. If we had gone two games and zero points it would be absolutely difficult, we knew this would be a tricky one," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said.

Olivier Giroud had given the Gunners the lead with a smart volley in the 16th minute, only for Joel Ward to equalise against the run of play 12 minutes later.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
Liverpool Vs Bournemouth (3am)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers could name an unchanged side for the visit of Premier League newcomers Bournemouth on Monday.

Summer signing Roberto Firmino scored a hat-trick in a behind-closed-doors friendly this week, which was also used to give the likes of Danny Ings, Emre Can, Kolo Toure and Mamadou Sakho some match practice, but he is likely to remain among the substitutes.

Midfielder Joe Allen is sidelined with a * problem.

Defender Joe Gomez has impressed Rodgers since arriving in the summer.

The 18-year-old, signed from Charlton for B£3.5million this summer, was expected to go out on loan but, having done well in pre-season, was handed his Barclays Premier League debut against the hard-running Walters last weekend.

He acquitted himself well in the 1-0 victory and will make his home bow against Bournemouth on Monday as he continues to keep out Alberto Moreno, a Europa League winner with Sevilla just 15 months ago but who has seen his B£12million move to Anfield turn sour over the last year.

"For a player of 18 to make his Premier League debut away at Stoke against an outstanding player in Jon Walters, with the experience he has, and cope as well as he did was impressive," Rodgers said.

"I thanked Jon after the game for giving him that experience and he spoke highly of him."

What is even more admirable is Gomez is a centre-back who has also operated on the right, so being thrown in on the opposite flank ahead of an established left-back speaks volumes not only about his talent but also Moreno's short-comings.

"I felt comfortable (putting him in the team) as he had played games and was managed well at Charlton," Rodgers added.

"I wanted to assess where his pathway lay in terms of whether he needed a loan or needed to stay here and very quickly he showed me he could be a really important member of the squad.

"He can play in many positions, centre-half being the main one, but he has the flexibility and qualities to play at full-back so he is definitely a player who will add great value to our squad.

"What struck me when I met him was his maturity. He recognises his opportunity.

"When he was 15 or 16 he had the chance to move to bigger clubs than Charlton but he wanted to stay.

"He then had a decision to make in the summer with a number of high-profile clubs wanted to take him but he felt his best opportunity to develop and improve was coming to Liverpool.

"He has got into the team and I am sure there will be moments along the way when we need to manage him, but he knows there is a lot to learn yet.

"It is about assessing and managing where he is at."

Eddie Howe believes Rodgers is on the verge of building his strongest Liverpool team to date.

The Bournemouth manager on Monday takes his team to Anfield for their second Premier League fixture of the season, having lost their first 1-0 to Aston Villa.

Howe is familiar with Rodgers having observed his methods when the Northern Irishman was the Swansea manager and also worked under Rodgers' new assistant Sean O'Driscoll, as a player, while the latter was in charge of Bournemouth.

The combination of a disappointing season following injury to Daniel Sturridge and the departure of Luis Suarez, however, followed by this summer's exits of Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling and almost B£300million spent on new players in the three years since his appointment have left Rodgers under a significant amount of pressure.

"He's building a new Liverpool team so I think this will be possibly the best Liverpool team that he's put together," said Howe, 37. "I don't think he needs any sympathy, certainly.

"Why not [can't it be better than the 2013/14 team]? He's got really talented individuals and he's had time, and longer to work with the players, so they'll be more in tune to what he wants them to do.

"He's manager of Liverpool, I don't think there's too much sympathy to be flying around. He's done a magnificent job. He did a magnificent job at Swansea, I think he's doing a great job at Liverpool.

"It's a tough challenge, when you have so many clubs fighting for league titles and Champions League spots. I think he's done very well."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2015, 04:45:20 AM »
70' Liverpool 1-0 Bournemouth

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:18 AM »
70' Liverpool 1-0 Bournemouth
FT Liverpool won 1-0. Goal from Benteke  :clap:

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:49 AM »
Diamanti (Guangzhou to Watford)

Watford have signed Italy midfielder Alessandro Diamanti on a season-long loan from Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande.

The deal is subject to international clearance, the promoted Premier League club said on their website (www.watfordfc.com) on Monday.

Diamanti, 32, who has 17 caps, previously played in the Premier League with West Ham United, scoring eight goals in 30 appearances in 2009-10.

He spent the second half of last season on loan at Fiorentina and has also had stints with Bologna, Brescia and Livorno.

A skilful playmaker with a deft left foot, Diamanti is a free kick specialist and will add depth and quality to Watford's squad under new Spanish manager Quique Sanchez Flores.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2015, 02:06:25 AM »
Manchester United winger Adnan Januzaj is confident he can rediscover the form he displayed in his breakthrough season in 2013-14 and feature more regularly for the club.

The 20-year-old scored four goals and had five assists in 27 Premier League appearances during the period but had a hard time last season after failing to find the back of the net.

Januzaj saw his shot go in off the far post on Friday as he scored the winner in his club's 1-0 victory over Aston Villa, giving him much-needed confidence.

"I'd not played for a long time, so I was happy to score my first goal of the season (against Villa)," Januzaj said ahead of their Champions League qualifier against Belgian Pro League champions Club Brugge.

"I'm happy to play and give everything for the manager and the club."

The Belgian, whose star has waned at Old Trafford since he burst on to the scene as one of the game's young diamonds, has also been linked in the media with a loan move to Sunderland but he felt he was close to his best again.

"It can happen, but this year is another year so I'm ready to get back to my best and do everything that I can do," Januzaj said.

"Of course (I'm improving); the manager has spoken to me a few times and I felt that I haven't been myself but I hadn't had many games, so hopefully I can play more this year."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:51 AM »
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said Christian Benteke gives his side a different dimension and hailed his performance against Bournemouth on Monday after the Belgian international scored on his home debut to make it two wins out of two in the Premier League.

Liverpool beat Bournemouth 1-0 after the 24-year-old, who signed from Aston Villa for 32.5 million pounds ($50.6 million) in the off-season, turned in midfielder Jordan Henderson's cross from close range midway through the first half.

"I thought he was a real handful, you saw all the facets of his game," Rodgers said.

"His hold-up play is outstanding, he's got a wonderful touch for a big guy and you saw that this evening.

"Because of his physicality and contact, he keeps the ball alive in a dangerous area of the field," the Northern Irishman added.

"It gives us a different dimension to our game, whilst looking to retain that philosophy to move the ball and get fluency."

Benteke was pleased to mark his Anfield debut with a winning goal, but was equally happy with his team's second consecutive clean sheet.

"It was important for me on my debut at Anfield to score and help the team win," he said.

Rodgers added his decision to replace Henderson early in the second half was due to the midfielder carrying a foot injury.

"He's had a problem with the bottom of his foot," the manager told reporters in his post-match press conference.

"He hadn't trained for part of the week, he was taking some painkillers with it.

"He wanted to try it, he wanted to give it a go, but you could see he was limited in his running ... and unfortunately for him he was just in too much pain," the manager said.

Liverpool will now travel to the Emirates stadium to take on Arsenal on Monday.