Watford
0 (0%)
West Bromwich Albion
0 (0%)
West Ham
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: August 03, 2015, 12:43:34 PM

Author Topic: Barclays Premier League 2015/16  (Read 41326 times)

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
Re: Barclays Premier League 2015/16
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
Crsytal Palace vs Manchester City

Manchester City may have been the Premier League's top spenders this summer but Alan Pardew insists Crystal Palace are closing the gap.

City have splashed more than B150million on the likes of Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne since they were stunned 2-1 by the Eagles at Selhurst Park last April.

The results have been impressive so far with City boasting four wins out of four, without conceding a goal, to sit top of the table ahead of Saturday's rematch.

But Palace moved up to second on the back of their win at champions Chelsea a fortnight ago and Pardew, whose biggest summer outlay was B10million midfielder Yohan Cabaye, feels they have an even better chance of beating City's all stars this time around.

"Only a handful of Premier League clubs can spend that money, but we are in that next batch and we are all fighting to catch up," said the Eagles boss.

"You can only play 11 players. That's one good thing about this game. If we were coming up against City and it was 20 players each then they'd definitely win. But they can only play 11 and our 11 is getting closer to Man City's, as is Stoke's and West Ham's.

"Beating Chelsea must enhance our confidence. Our technical ability is now matching our work rate and that makes us a good team. Manchester City will be approaching this game knowing they are up against a good side.

"They will be favourites to win and you would expect them to win, but I think they will know we are a bit closer to them than last year.

"We won last year, but by the seat of our pants a little bit. At Chelsea we were much more in control and that's why I think we are in a better place to get a result against City, even though we won against them last year."

Injuries to Connor Wickham and Marouane Chamakh, and Glenn Murray's move to Bournemouth, are likely to mean an opportunity in attack for either Patrick Bamford or Dwight Gayle.

Club record signing Kevin de Bruyne is poised to make his Manchester City debut as David Silva sits out this weekend's trip to Palace.

Silva is not being risked by manager Manuel Pellegrini ahead of next Tuesday's Champions League encounter against Juventus after suffering an ankle injury during the international break.

That should make it straightforward for the Barclays Premier League leaders to slot their new B54million man into their formidable-looking side.

Speaking at a press conference to preview the Selhurst Park clash with second-placed Palace, Pellegrini said: "In his position it is more easy, maybe, to settle in our team. He needs maybe to be included in the movements of our squad for more time, but if we need him at this moment he can play without problems."

Pellegrini made just one change to his starting line-up in City's first four games of the campaign - all of which were won convincingly without conceding a goal.

Former Chelsea player De Bruyne's big-money move from Wolfsburg came after the last of them, against Watford almost a fortnight ago, and has since been away with Belgium.

Pellegrini would have liked more time to work with him but does not think his lack of familiarity with his new team-mates will be a problem.

He said: "It is not the best way to arrive, to go to his national squad, but it doesn't matter.

"He is a very young player, 24 years old. I always say when good players arrive at a good team with very good players like David, Kun (Sergio Aguero), Yaya (Toure), just to name some, they will continue improving."

The international break has come at a cost for City with the luckless Fabian Delph injured as well as key playmaker Silva.

Silva's injury does not appear so serious and Pellegrini is hopeful he will be back in contention for the visit of Juve.

He said: "He is out for tomorrow and maybe it is a risk for him to take another kick in the same place, so it is better for him to rest a couple of days."

City's fine start to the season will be tested by Alan Pardew's Palace, who have also made a positive early impression by collecting nine points from their opening four games.

Pellegrini said: "Last season Alan Pardew also finished in a very good way with Crystal Palace.

"He is a manager that always has a good team with good performance. I am not surprised by them because they have very good players."
Namotasapakawatoarahatosamasamputasa

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Norwich vs Bournemouth

Norwich manager Alex Neil will offer Lewis Grabban a clean slate after the striker returned to training following a club suspension for walking out on the team.

Grabban was reprimanded after he left the squad hotel ahead of the Capital One Cup match at Rotherham last month, the 27-year-old reportedly unhappy at Norwich rejecting three bids from former club Bournemouth.

The player issued a public apology late on Thursday night, declaring his determination to "train hard, let my football do the talking and to do everything I can to help Norwich City do well."

While Grabban - signed from Bournemouth in the summer of 2014, helping the Canaries win promotion via the play-offs - will not feature in the squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against his old club at Carrow Road, Neil hopes everyone can now put the matter behind them.

"Lewis broke the rules and he has been punished. He accepted that he has done wrong and has paid the consequences of that," said Neil.

"At the moment he is training to get his match fitness up, and will continue to pay his dues until he works his way back into the squad, so as far as I am concerned, the matter is pretty much done."

Neil agrees with Cherries boss Eddie Howe there should be no reason for any animosity between the two newly-promoted clubs when they go head to head on Saturday.

He said: "Eddie is the manager of Bournemouth and I am the manager of Norwich, we both will want to go and win the game, but there are certainly no hard feelings between the clubs, football is business."

Norwich brought in Congo forward Dieumerci Mbokani on loan from Dynamo Kiev ahead of the transfer deadline.

"He has looked good in training, is big and strong and offers us something different from what we have got, so I am hoping he will be a useful addition to what we have got," said Neil, who suggested the 29-year-old would probably be among the substitutes.

Norwich forward Kyle Lafferty impressed during the international break, scoring for Northern Ireland as they closed in on qualification for Euro 2016.

The 27-year-old, who spent time on loan at Turkish side Rizespor last season, has yet to feature for Norwich this season following recovery from a knee problem.

Neil said: "It is good that he has got minutes under his belt and Kyle is the same as any other player, he trains with the first team squad on a regular basis and puts himself into contention."

Howe has revealed his confidence that new signing Glenn Murray can inspire Bournemouth to Premier League safety.

The B4million Bournemouth striker was recruited from Crystal Palace towards the end of the transfer window after a summer-long pursuit.

Alongside the promising Callum Wilson, presently the highest English goalscorer in the division, Murray is considered capable of scoring the goals that Bournemouth have deserved in previous Premier League fixtures but that have so far eluded them, and Howe believes that the striker will prove exactly what they have required.

"Glenn has a proven track record of scoring goals in the Premier League, is an experienced striker and has been there and done it," Howe said.

"He also gives us a slightly different dimension to our play. He is a predator but also scores goals from crosses which is something we have been missing.

"Every striker's brought in to try and chip in with goals. It's not the be-all-and-end-all, as long as they're contributing to the team, but it is a big part of what their job is.

"If you look at his track record, it's very impressive. His goalscoring return to games [played], he's managed to step up with every challenge that's been placed upon him, and reacted positively to that, and I think he'll fit in well to what we do here.

"Any striker, you're hoping can have a real impact on our season. I believe we've got really good attacking options. When you look at the strikers, they're all slightly different, they've all got their strengths and the areas they can help us; most of them are fully integrated into how we work.

"Obviously we're going to get Glenn used to our way of working and used to our way of playing, but I'm excited to see them all play together.

"It's [a transfer] we've chased for the majority of the summer so to finally get it over the line was very pleasing."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »
Watford vs Swansea

Quique Sanchez Flores insists Watford have not made any special plans to stop goal-machine Bafetimbi Gomis when Swansea travel to Vicarage Road.

Gomis is enjoying a rich vein of form having scored nine goals in his last 10 Premier League games - including the winner in the 2-1 victory over Manchester United ahead of the international break.

That run has seen the France forward's stock rise, with the Swans also impressing in recent weeks as fellow free transfer signing Andre Ayew has hit the ground running.

Garry Monk takes the Swans to face newly-promoted Watford on Saturday but Flores feels planning to purely negate the threat of Gomis is the wrong way to go.

"Our plans are collective," he said.

"It is to move Gomis into the place where we can reduce his ability. We never prepare one strategy for (Lionel) Messi, one strategy for Gomis, one for (Wayne) Rooney as that is a big mistake.

"In this case for us it is important to choose when we want to defend and attack - Gomis is part of the plan of course, but he is always involved in the main plan.

"They are a really good team. They are confident and have been working really well the last few years.

"They are a very clever team, they manage the transitions very well and have good individuals in Gomis, Ayew, (Jefferson) Montero, (Jonjo) Shelvey - they have a lot of good players. But we think of the team as a collective - no different to other matches."

While Gomis has been scoring freely, Watford are without a goal since the opening weekend of the season and that is something Flores is keen to address.

"We scored against Everton and afterwards we had chances but we had to work in the mind of the players and convince them they are working in the right way," he said.

"We don't have problems when we have the ball, the main problem is when we are in the last third. The attacks are coming when you're defending well - when we were preparing in pre-season we were thinking of working like a unit, a strong team who make it uncomfortable for the other team.

"It is clear that we have problems with the attempts. We are shooting less in the last few matches. We are working hard trying to solve this.

"I try to remove pressure for the players - the players need to do the best during the matches so I try to remove that during the week.

"I'm trying to make confidence to go onto the pitch and win and to show the fans that we have the possibility to win every single match we play."

Monk hopes the international break will not disrupt the momentum his side built up in the opening weeks of the season, Swansea unbeaten after four games and fresh from an exhilarating 2-1 victory over Manchester United.

But he is expecting a tough challenge against a newly-promoted Watford side still seeking their first top-flight win after three draws and a defeat.

"They've had a big transition of players in that squad but looked like they've gelled really quickly and the manager deserves a lot of credit for that," Monk said.

"They are highly organised and obviously playing with belief, and I'm sure they'll be identifying the home games in trying to create that fortress.

"It will be a good atmosphere there and the crowd will be very loud, but if we're focused after the international break we've definitely got the armoury to cause them trouble."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
WBA vs Southampton

Saido Berahino could return for West Brom against Southampton - as Tony Pulis urged the striker to show the Baggies respect.

The England Under-21 international is in contention to face the Saints at The Hawthorns on Saturday after his strike threat.

Berahino tweeted last week suggesting he would not play for the club again after they rejected two deadline day bids from Tottenham.

But boss Pulis confirmed the 22-year-old, who had a transfer request rejected last month, is set to return after missing the last three games during the transfer saga but wants him to change his ways.

"I have no problems at all, he could play on Saturday," said Pulis.

"The respect Saido should have shown the football club and supporters wasn't there. He has to show them more respect.

"My big issue with Saido is he is immature at times in the way he reacts. Something he has done in the two windows since I've been here, his reaction has not been sensible.

"For him to want go to another club, to have the ambition to do that, I wish there were more players in my dressing room who had the ambition and quality to want to do that but the problem with it is the way he has gone about it and the way it has been managed.

"The way it has been managed has been poor.

"But I'm more concerned with getting Sadio getting back playing football."

Pulis, though, admitted he felt sorry for Berahino, who lost his father in the Burundi civil war.

He added: "He is a young lad and we have to understand and recognise that he has missed the greatest mentor he could have had in his life at an early age with his dad passing away. He has not had the guidance and the solid background a lot of us have been fortunate to have."

Berahino could play following Salomon Rondon's international duty with Venezuela after their games with Panama and Honduras in South America but Pulis has no fresh injury concerns following the international break.

Anders Lindegaard and Jonny Evans could make their debuts after joining from Manchester United.

Victor Wanyama could feature for the visitors after making peace with the Saints over being denied a transfer.

Defender Cuco Martina and forward Sadio Mane were still en route back to Southampton after international duty on Thursday, so may not have enough preparation time to contest selection.

Defender Virgil van Dijk could make his debut, while Jordy Clasie (ankle) is still not ready to return, with defender Ryan Bertrand (knee) missing out too - but expected to return to full training on Monday.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Manchester United vs Liverpool

Louis van Gaal has recalled David de Gea to his squad after the goalkeeper stunned the world by signing a new contract with Manchester United.

Eleven days after coming within minutes of joining Real Madrid, De Gea signed a new four-year contract at United worth B200,000 a week.

The Spaniard was left out of Van Gaal's squad for the opening six matches because he felt he could not focus properly because of Madrid's interest in him.

But, now that his ''suffering'' has ended, De Gea is training with his peers and could feature in Saturday's game against Liverpool.

Van Gaal refused to confirm whether De Gea would start the game against United's bitter rivals, but the Dutchman clearly thinks the 24-year-old is now free of the mental turmoil caused by the longest transfer saga of the summer.

''Will he play? I will have to judge the session and he knows that,'' the United manager said.

''It's logical that his head is now empty and he can concentrate and focus on the match.

''That is a big change from three or four weeks before, so I hope I can see that and give him his first start.''

Two months ago senior sources at United confirmed the club had all but given up hope of persuading De Gea to sign the contract that has been on the table since last November.

The chances of De Gea staying looked even more remote last week when Madrid agreed a B29million deal for the goalkeeper with United, who would receive Keylor Navas as part of the agreement.

But Real Madrid's failure to lodge the relevant documents with FIFA before the 11pm deadline cost them the chance to sign Spain's number one.

De Gea wants to draw a line under the whole saga.

''I am delighted to be starting this new chapter in my United career,'' said the goalkeeper, who has played 175 times for the club in four years.

''I have always enjoyed playing with these great players in front of our fantastic fans. Manchester United is a special club and Old Trafford is an ideal place for me to continue to develop my career.

''I'm looking forward to putting a difficult summer behind me and concentrating on working hard to improve and help my team-mates to be successful.''

Michael Carrick is available for Saturday's game after overcoming the calf injury that caused him to pull out of the England squad on Monday.

Andreas Pereira came back from international duty with an injury and will therefore not play. Defender Phil Jones is still out as he continues his recovery from minor thrombosis.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes striker Daniel Sturridge is the fittest he has been for 18 months, but will still handle him with caution.

The England striker, who spent most of the summer undergoing rehabilitation in the United States, returned to full training with the rest of the squad this week after recovering from a hip operation in May.

He will not be ready for Saturday's match but his impending return will boost a goal-shy squad which has scored just two goals in four matches and none in their last two.

''There is no timeline as to when he will be fit to participate in the game but he is obviously back in training, which is good,'' said Rodgers.

''He looked really sharp in training, probably the best he's looked fitness-wise for 18 months, and it will be really good when he gets back.

''I can never say that (he is over the worst of his injuries) because I don't want to sit here and something happens in a couple of months' time.

''I can only look at what I see and from my experiences in the past I don't want to put any timeline on him coming back.

''I am grateful for the work done in America, for our own medical team who have done a brilliant job to do everything they possibly could to get Daniel back to a level of fitness.

''He has worked hard. He has joined in with the group and we will take it from there, day-by-day.''

Liverpool go into Saturday's game having been humiliated 3-0 at home by West Ham before the international break which saw them concede their first goals of the season.

Having only scored twice in four matches - with those coming in the opening two games - the side are also struggling up front.

Last season they went to Old Trafford and enjoyed the majority of chances only to lose 3-0.

Liverpool will be without suspended playmaker Philippe Coutinho after his red card against West Ham, so striker Danny Ings or winger Jordon Ibe are in contention to start.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
Everton vs. Chelsea

G Tim Howard
D Phil Jagielka
D Seamus Coleman
D John Stones
D Brendan Galloway
M Muhamed Besic
M Ross Barkley
M James McCarthy
M Gareth Barry
F Romelu Lukaku
F Arouna Kone

G Asmir Begovic
D B. Ivanovic
D Cesar Azpilicueta
D John Terry
D Kurt Zouma
M Nemanja Matic
M Cesc Fabregas
M John Obi Mikel
M Eden Hazard
F/M Pedro
F Diego Costa

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »
17'
Goal! Everton 1, Chelsea 0. Steven Naismith (Everton) header from the centre of the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Brendan Galloway with a cross.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
22'
Goal! Everton 2, Chelsea 0. Steven Naismith (Everton) left footed shot from outside the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Ross Barkley.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
36'
Goal! Everton 2, Chelsea 1. Nemanja Matic (Chelsea) left footed shot from outside the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by John Obi Mikel.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
45'
First Half ends, Everton 2, Chelsea 1.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
70' Everton 2, Chelsea 1.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #361 on: September 12, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
82'
Goal! Everton 3, Chelsea 1. Steven Naismith (Everton) right footed shot from a difficult angle on the right to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Ross Barkley with a through ball.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #362 on: September 12, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »
Second Half ends, Everton 2, Chelsea 1.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #363 on: September 12, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
15'
Arsenal 0-0 Stoke City

Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester City

Norwich City 0-0 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 0-0 Swansea City

West Bromwich Albion 0-0 Southampton

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48:13 PM »
30'
Arsenal 0-0 Stoke City

Norwich City 0-0 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 0-0 Swansea City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »
HT
Arsenal 1-0 Stoke City

Norwich City 1-0 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 0-0 Swansea City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #366 on: September 12, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »
60'
Arsenal 1-0 Stoke City

Norwich City 2-0 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 1-0 Swansea City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #367 on: September 12, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
75'
Arsenal 1-0 Stoke City

Norwich City 3-0 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 1-0 Swansea City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #368 on: September 13, 2015, 12:04:22 AM »
FT
Arsenal 2-0 Stoke City

Crystal Palace 0-1 Manchester City

Norwich City 3-1 AFC Bournemouth

Watford 1-0 Swansea City

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #369 on: September 13, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »
Manchester United vs. Liverpool

G David de Gea
D Matteo Darmian
D Chris Smalling
D Luke Shaw
M Juan Mata
M Daley Blind
M B. Schweinsteiger
M Marouane Fellaini
M Ander Herrera
M Michael Carrick
F Memphis Depay

G Simon Mignolet
D Nathaniel Clyne
D Martin Skrtel
D Joe Gomez
D Dejan Lovren
M Roberto Firmino
M James Milner
M Lucas
M Emre Can
F Danny Ings
F Christian Benteke

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #370 on: September 13, 2015, 01:03:31 AM »
30' Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »
First Half Ends: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »
49'
Goal! Manchester United 1, Liverpool 0. Daley Blind (Manchester United) left footed shot from the centre of the box to the top left corner. Assisted by Juan Mata following a set piece situation.

Offline Ļaughing Ģor

• Global Moderator
  • Marquess
    • Investlah - Malaysia's Biggest Investment Forum
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2015, 01:49:51 AM »
49'
Goal! Manchester United 1, Liverpool 0. Daley Blind (Manchester United) left footed shot from the centre of the box to the top left corner. Assisted by Juan Mata following a set piece situation.
Go Man U
Can someone to give me a Loan and then leave me Alone?

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2015, 02:09:28 AM »
70'
Goal! Manchester United 2, Liverpool 0. Ander Herrera (Manchester United) converts the penalty with a right footed shot to the high centre of the goal.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2015, 02:14:30 AM »
Everton 3-1 Chelsea

Steven Naismith came off the bench to score a hat trick as Everton heaped more misery on Chelsea with a 3-1 win at Goodison Park.

Everton lost midfielder Muhamed Besic to a * injury in the first attack of the game, and he was eventually replaced by Naismith after nine minutes. It proved to be the pivotal moment in the game.

Naismith scored the opening goal after 17 minutes, ghosting into the box to head Brendan Galloway's cross past goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

And it was nearly two moments later but Begovic produced an outstanding save to deny Arouna Kone.

Everton did not have to wait long for their second, however, as Naismith arrowed home a left-footed shot from the edge of the box in the 22nd minute.

The home side were in complete command, but that all changed in the 36th minute. John Obi Mikel fed Nemanja Matic, who unleashed a thunderbolt from 25 yards out which gave goalkeeper Tim Howard no chance.

Chelsea were expected to come out strongly after the break but never really got up a head of steam, and Everton held on to their advantage.

The result was put beyond doubt in the 82nd minute, as Ross Barkley fed in Naismith and the Scotland international completed the perfect hat trick with a fine, right-footed finish.

The defeat means champions Chelsea are now suffering their worst start to a season since 1988.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2015, 02:20:43 AM »
Go Man U
Without Rooney and Depay just played half time, they still manage to beat Liverpool EASILY  :clap:

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »
84'
Goal! Manchester United 2, Liverpool 1. Christian Benteke (Liverpool) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal following a corner.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2015, 02:23:26 AM »
86'
Goal! Manchester United 3, Liverpool 1. Anthony Martial (Manchester United) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Ashley Young.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2015, 03:07:04 AM »
Manchester United 3-1 Liverpool

Anthony Martial scored on his Manchester United debut to seal a 3-1 win for Manchester United over rivals Liverpool as goalkeeper David De Gea made his comeback.

Daley Blind and Ander Herrera netted in the second half at Old Trafford, before Christian Benteke scored a stunner only for Martial to put the result beyond doubt with four minutes left.

The result ensured United bounced back from their loss at Swansea, while the defeat was a second in a row for Brendan Rodgers' team after they were beaten by West Ham last time out.

De Gea was handed his first United appearance of the season, having signed a new contract with the club on Friday following the collapse of his proposed transfer to Real Madrid.

Wayne Rooney, meanwhile, was absent for Louis van Gaal's side due to a * problem, meaning Marouane Fellaini was selected up front.

The first half at Old Trafford was severely lacking in terms of goal-scoring opportunities, as both sides struggled to find rhythm with shaky moments in the Liverpool defence and from goalkeeper Simon Mignolet the only real moments of anxiety.

United took the lead on 49 minutes through a well-worked free kick, as Juan Mata picked out Daley Blind on the edge of the area and the Netherlands international swept home first time with his left foot.

A poor kick from De Gea almost presented Liverpool with a chance before an acrobatic effort from Danny Ings called the Spain international into action, as he palmed away for a corner.

In the 65th minute, Blind was forced to clear Martin Skrtel's header off the line, before Van Gaal called up on 36 million summer signing Martial to replace Mata.

United doubled their advantage on 70 minutes, with Herrera dusted himself down after being brought down by Joe Gomez in the box to smash in from the penalty spot.

Benteke then pulled a goal back in emphatic style, executing a stunning scissor kick of beat De Gea and potentially set up a nervy end to the match.

But Martial wrapped up the three points for United, running at the Liverpool defence from the left and then coolly placing into the far corner.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:10 AM »
Manchester City stayed top with a late 1-0 win over Crystal Palace while Manchester United downed Liverpool 3-1 and Arsenal beat Stoke City 2-0 to stay on their coat-tails in the Premier League on Saturday.

Champions Chelsea ended the day in 16th place, 11 points behind the leaders, when they crashed to another defeat, beaten 3-1 at Everton where Scotland striker Steven Naismith came off the bench to score a hat-trick.

City have 15 points from five successive wins, followed by United and Arsenal on 10 and Palace on nine.

Liverpool dropped to ninth after 36 million pounds teenage signing Anthony Martial secured the points for United with a dazzling late goal on his debut after Christian Benteke had scored with a brilliant overhead kick for the visitors.

Another teenager, Kelechi Iheanacho, clinched the points for Manchester City when he came on in the 89th minute at Selhurst Park and scored the winner a minute later.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2015, 04:23:26 AM »
There are 33 matches and another eight months of the season to negotiate but Manchester City will have the Premier League title wrapped up long before May if they continue as they have started.

Saturday's late, late 1-0 win at Crystal Palace where 18-year-old Nigerian Kelechi Iheanacho scored one minute after coming on as an 89th minute substitute for Wilfried Bony, was City's 11th successive league win, including six from the end of last season.

A beaming Iheanacho told Sky Sports: "I just had two minutes to score and I am happy, happy I scored, so I am very grateful to the manager for introducing me.

"The fans went crazy when I scored, so it was a great thing."

City could well be on the verge of other great things this season.

They are now only three matches away from equalling Arsenal's all-time top flight record of 14 straight wins set in 2002 and have not conceded a goal in their last six league games, a club record.

Their perfect start, which has produced 15 points from five games and a goal tally of 11-0, means they are five clear of Manchester United and Arsenal, who both have 10 points, and, importantly, 11 ahead of champions Chelsea who have only four points.

The champions have lost three of their five opening games, won one and drawn one, and look a pale shadow of the team that lost only three times during the whole of last season.

And while City's statistics are impressive, so is the way the way they have been playing.

TOP GEAR

After winning the title in 2014, City failed to click into top gear last season and, although they finished as runners-up to Chelsea, they never seriously looked like catching them.

But this season they have played with renewed verve and belief -- and because of their huge investment in the summer transfer window, they also have greater strength in depth throughout the squad.

The arrival of Raheem Sterling from Liverpool, Kevin de Bruyne from Wolfsburg and Fabian Delph from Aston Villa has bolstered them while midfielder Yaya Toure, looks like a man reborn in midfield.

By his own admission he was not at his best last season, but looks decidedly back on form now, exuding the swagger and confidence that seeps into all title-winning sides.

Despite all those riches, their match-winner on Saturday was a young little-known substitute, whose only other first team appearance was for one minute against Watford two weeks ago.

Iheanacho did not get much more time against Palace, but was in the right place at the right time to poke in the stoppage time winner after Palace goalkeeper Alex McCarthy parried a shot from Samir Nasri.

So instead of leaving Palace with one point, City left with three to keep their winning run intact and their eyes firmly fixed on their target, no matter how distant it might still be.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2015, 04:27:35 AM »
A defiant Jose Mourinho said he was the man to salvage Chelsea's season after the champions crashed to a 3-1 defeat at Everton on Saturday, their third defeat in five Premier League games.

Everton's hero was substitute Steven Naismith who scored the "perfect" hat-trick with a header and shots with his right and left foot as Everton condemned Chelsea to their worst start to a top-flight campaign since 1986.

The champions have lost as many games as they did in the whole of last season, but Mourinho told BT Sports he was not panicking.

"The results are too wrong for our quality and our status and the players deserve much more than they are getting," he said.

"Right now it's easy for everyone to criticise me and the players that everything is wrong, but I completely disagree.

"I am the champion, the players are the champions.

"The way we are playing is not as bad as the results suggest because everything is going against us.

"But I don't blame the players and I don't blame myself. They are the worst results ever in my career but I am comfortable with the situation.

"I do not think there is a better manager than me to come to Chelsea and to do my job. I am the man for the job. I have done so many good things for Chelsea, but now I am the man with the bad results, but give me the responsibility and I will sort this out."

Everton manager Roberto Martinez was delighted with his players.

"A performance like that makes you very proud, it was an incredible team performance," he said.

Naismith was linked with a move to Norwich before the transfer window closed last week.

"Today was my chance and I managed to take it," the Scotland forward said.

Naismith replaced the injured Mo Besic and headed Everton in front in the 17th minute to complete a 19-pass move that cut Chelsea to ribbons.

The Scotland forward doubled the lead with a low left-foot shot before Nemanja Matic brought Chelsea back into the game with a superb 25-metre strike nine minutes before halftime.

Chelsea failed to build on that goal, however, and Naismith wrapped up the points with another well-worked goal after 83 minutes when his right-foot shot beat keeper Asmir Begovic who was replacing the injured Thibaut Courtois.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
Sunderland vs Tottenham

Sunderland boss **** Advocaat has warned Black Cats fans not to expect miracles when they go in search of their first Barclays Premier League win of the season against Tottenham at the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

Advocaat pronounced himself satisfied with his late transfer window business, which saw a return to the club for striker Fabio Borini as well as the signings of Ola Toivonen and United States international DeMarcus Yedlin.

But he insists it will take time for his newly strengthened squad to hit top form as they continue to play catch-up in terms of fitness following the testing start to their new campaign.

Advocaat said: "I think we have a better squad than last year but the problem is they came in a bit late so it is still going to take a bit of time to fix the squad in all positions.

"The majority of the players we brought in were not playing for their clubs so physical-wise they are behind a lot of players and teams. They need game fitness so that is a little bit of a problem.

"The most important thing is that we stay away from relegation. We are very pleased that we have improved the squad and when it all comes together I am sure we will have a better side."

Borini is in line for his second debut on Sunday after being named in Advocaat's squad and he could team up with Jeremain Lens, who has pronounced himself fit again following a * knee injury.

But fellow new boy Yedlin is ineligible to play against his parent club and Advocaat is also still without Adam Matthews, Adam Johnson and Jordi Gomez.

Advocaat is certainly cutting a happier figure around the Stadium of Light since the spate of transfer activity, but he is fully aware the early-season woe has still not dissipated.

He added: "We all know that as quickly as possible we have to work out how to get the right balance in the squad, then we can go forward. If we don't do that, we are well aware there will be a problem."

Son Heung-min is in line to make his Tottenham debut. The South Korea forward has yet to feature for Spurs since his big-money move from Bayer Leverkusen but scored a hat-trick for his country against Laos and now looks set to start at the Stadium of Light.

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino said the game could come too soon for fellow new recruit Clinton N'Jie while Christian Eriksen (knee) and Mousa Dembele (foot) are out.

Pochettino insists his Tottenham side are performing well enough to be winning games - even though they remain without a victory.

Spurs have drawn their last three Premier League games having started the season with defeat at Manchester United, with Harry Kane yet to score a goal so far.

However, they travel to the Stadium of Light with Kane having scored twice on international duty with England.

Pochettino believes Spurs having been slowly improving and they now need to top that off with a first win of the campaign.

"It is important," he said of the need to take three points off Sunderland.

"Always when Tottenham play it is important to win. We need to start to win the games because our performances have been good but in football it is all about the results.

"I think against Everton we competed much better than we did against Leicester and Stoke City. I think that we improve our level of focus during the game and now we need to follow in the same way. We have the quality to win the game."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »
Leicester vs Aston Villa

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri has suggested the Premier League increase the numbers of players allowed in matchday squads to 22 so clubs can give more experience to young players.

In the Italian's homeland, Serie A sides are allowed to name 12 substitutes on their team sheets, while for competitive internationals a manager can pick subs from the full 23-man squad. In each case only three replacements are permitted and Ranieri proposed a move away from this.

The 63-year-old would welcome more choice when selecting substitutes and he believes a knock-on effect would see England manager Roy Hodgson presented with a much larger pool of players to choose from.

The Premier League increased the number of subs from five to seven for the 2008/09 season to bring the English top-flight into line with Champions League practice, but Ranieri would like 11 substitutes.

He said: "It happens in Serie A, why not England?

"It is a good opportunity for the young players. You would have an opportunity to put the 17-year-olds or 18-year-olds on the pitch.

"I could choose Joe Dodoo or Ben Chilwell and other young players.

"It is good for him, and it is also good for English football - 11 on the pitch, 11 on the bench. You pay 25 players. If the squad is 25 players, why only 18 go in the squad?

"The league here is very long, there are so many matches. I think we could improve on teams only having seven players on the bench. Why not 11? We can bring a lot of players to the bench and chose between them.

"Leicester has very good young players. It is important you can chose. If the squad is 25 players, why only 18 go in the squad? Twenty two could be better, in my opinion."

Ranieri's side will look to maintain their unbeaten start to the season on Sunday when Midlands rivals Aston Villa visit the King Power Stadium.

Gokhan Inler could make his full Barclays Premier League debut. Leading scorer Riyad Mahrez was forced off against Bournemouth two weeks ago with a back injury but the winger proved his fitness by playing for Algeria during the international break.

New signing Nathan Dyer could be included in the squad against Villa but the best the on-loan Swansea winger can hope for is a place on the bench.

Idrissa Gueye is a doubt for Aston Villa after suffering a * injury on international duty with Senegal.

Jack Grealish is also struggling with an ankle problem but boss Tim Sherwood hopes he can shake it off before Sunday's game at the King Power Stadium while Adama Traore (ankle) is a doubt.

Joleon Lescott could make his debut after joining from West Brom on transfer deadline day but new Liverpool loanee Tiago Ilori (lacking match fitness) and Jores Okore (knee) are out.

Sherwood has defended Gabby Agbonlahor and insisted he will be at Aston Villa for life.

The club's longest-serving current player has come under fire after struggling to make an impact.

Forward Agbonlahor has netted just four goals in his last 29 games and is under pressure to score more following the summer sale of Christian Benteke.

But Sherwood insisted the 28-year-old, who is yet to score this season, remains a key part of his plans.

"Gabby's an important part of this football club and I can't ever see him leaving," he said.

"He's spent more time out there training than anyone else this international break because he wants to improve himself.

"We're there to help him improve. He's been doing one-on-one extra finishing and working hard.

"The supporters see him when he's on the pitch but I see him every day helping the young guys out here. He's an important part of this club going forward.

"I've needed to add people like Joleon Lescott to the group to help those like Gabby and Clarky (Ciaran Clark).

"But he's got a massive part to play both on and off the pitch."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
Sunderland vs.Tottenham Hotspur

G Costel Pantilimon
D John O'Shea
D Younes Kaboul
D Billy Jones
D P. van Aanholt
M Jordi Gomez
M Yann M'Vila
M Ola Toivonen
F/M Jeremain Lens
F Jermain Defoe
F Fabio Borini

G Hugo Lloris
D Jan Vertonghen
D Kyle Walker
D Eric Dier
D Ben Davies
D Toby Alderweireld
M Nacer Chadli
M Dele Alli
M Ryan Mason
F Harry Kane
F Heung-Min Son

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
Sunderland vs.Tottenham Hotspur

G Costel Pantilimon
D John O'Shea
D Younes Kaboul
D Billy Jones
D P. van Aanholt
M Jordi Gomez
M Yann M'Vila
M Ola Toivonen
F/M Jeremain Lens
F Jermain Defoe
F Fabio Borini

G Hugo Lloris
D Jan Vertonghen
D Kyle Walker
D Eric Dier
D Ben Davies
D Toby Alderweireld
M Nacer Chadli
M Dele Alli
M Ryan Mason
F Harry Kane
F Heung-Min Son

30' Sunderland 0-0 Tottenham

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2015, 09:32:33 PM »
Half time

Sunderland 0-0 Tottenham

Second half continue pick Sunderland

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #388 on: September 13, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »
70' Sunderland 0-0 Tottenham

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #389 on: September 13, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
82'
Goal! Sunderland 0, Tottenham Hotspur 1. Ryan Mason (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Erik Lamela with a through ball.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:11 PM »
FT Sunderland 0-1 Tottenham

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2015, 04:25:37 AM »
Nathan Dyer's brave late header completed a remarkable comeback by Leicester as they climbed to second place in the Premier League table with a 3-2 home win against Aston Villa.

The Foxes looked like losing their unbeaten start to the season after wonderful curling efforts from Jack Grealish -- his first goal for Villa -- and Carles Gil put the visitors in the driving seat.

But goals from Ritchie De Laet -- whose effort was given with the aid of goal-line technology -- Jamie Vardy and substitute Dyer, making his debut following his loan arrival from Swansea during the international break, saw Claudio Ranieri's men snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Winger Dyer remained on the floor for a couple of minutes after clattering into goalkeeper Brad Guzan when heading the 89th-minute clincher, but eventually got to his feet to take the acclaim.

There was a let-off for Leicester early on when Gil sent Gabriel Agbonlahor racing clear and his low cross to the far post was just beyond the reach of Scott Sinclair, who at full stretch poked the ball wide.

The Foxes also had an early chance when Wes Morgan shrugged off Jordan Amavi to meet Marc Albrighton's cross but powered his header over the crossbar.

Grealish spurned a terrific chance to give Villa the lead in the 24th minute when he steered his shot straight at Kasper Schmeichel. But when presented with a similar opportunity just before half-time, the youngster did not make the same error.

Leicester struggled to clear a corner and the ball bobbled around a crowded penalty area before breaking to the edge of the box where Grealish curled home a lovely right-footed shot beyond a possibly unsighted Schmeichel.

The sheer joy on Grealish's face was there for all to see as he ran towards his manager Tim Sherwood. He had longed for that first goal for the club since he was a child playing football round the back of the Aston Social Club in the shadow of Villa Park.

Leicester emerged for the second half full of vigour. Jeff Schlupp burst into the box and cut the ball back for Vardy whose instinctive back-heel flick rolled narrowly wide.

Vardy then raced clear into the area but Micah Richards remained with him and got a crucial block on the striker's shot.

It was somewhat against the run of play when Villa extended their lead in the 63rd minute. Agbonlahor broke free down the left and played a square pass to Gil who guided a lovely curling shot around defender Robert Huth and back into the top corner of the net from 22 yards.

Midway through the second half Leicester had a big shout for a penalty turned down by referee Mike Dean when Vardy's burst into the box was halted by Leandro Bacuna.

Shortly afterwards De Laet halved Leicester's deficit. His near-post flick from Riyad Mahrez's corner looked like it might have been headed safely off the line by Ashley Westwood but goal-line technology alerted Dean that the ball had crossed.

Vardy then sent a shot into the side-netting as Leicester sensed they could still get something from the game.

They were right -- they could. Mahrez's mazy run forward set up Danny Drinkwater and his low cross was poked home by Vardy with eight minutes still to play.

The pressure on Villa was relentless and Dyer, on at half-time for Shinji Okazaki, immediately endeared himself to Foxes fans when he bravely got between two Villa defenders to head home before running into Guzan.

Mahrez almost added some gloss to the scoreline, which would have been harsh on Villa, with a curling effort which flew narrowly wide.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #392 on: September 14, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
Westham United vs Newcastle United

Angelo Ogbonna is hoping to take the feel-good factor from West Ham's historic win at Liverpool into Monday night's game against Newcastle.

The Irons have lost both of their home Premier League games at the start of their final season at Upton Park ahead of their much-publicised move to the Olympic Stadium next summer.

Leicester and Bournemouth have left east London with all three points as Slaven Bilic awaits his first league victory in front of his own fans.

Coupled with early elimination from the Europa League qualifiers, the start to West Ham's season would have been considered a disaster were it not for impressive wins on the road at both Arsenal and Liverpool.

A 3-0 win at Anfield before the international break gave West Ham their first victory at Liverpool since 1963 and Ogbonna, who was not called up for Italy's Euro 2016 qualifying double-header, is keen for that result to lead to an upturn in home form.

"When you win you enjoy the next game," he said.

"Our preparations have a good feel about it at the moment and we want to put things right against Newcastle because we are very annoyed about our last two results at home.

"We now look forward to the Newcastle game on Monday night. It is not just about playing under the lights, but we need to win for our home support.

"We are focused and have to do everything to get the result. I want to concentrate and give everything and all the players will prepare well to win the game.

"We have been unlucky at home and we need to change and do something better than what we did in the last two games."

On a busy deadline day, West Ham brought in no fewer than four new faces and three of them - Victor Moses, Michail Antonio and Nikica Jelavic - are in contention to make their debuts when Newcastle come to town.

Ogbonna has been impressed with the late transfer business but singled out the fourth recruit Alex Song, who is returning for a second successive season-long loan from Barcelona, as a great signing for the Hammers.

"I hope the new signings will enjoy the West Ham mentality and everything around the club," Ogbonna added.

"The West Ham attitude is different to other teams and I hope everyone is comfortable in this team.

"Alex Song is a great signing for the club. We need that kind of experience and he is someone who has played at another level and it is great for us."

As well as the trio of new recruits, Andy Carroll could be in line to face his former club having fully recovered from the knee injury which has ruled him out since February, while Mark Noble is free to captain the side having had his sending off at Liverpool overturned on appeal.

Meanwhile, Steve McClaren has urged his Holland stars to put their international misery behind them and help to kick-start Newcastle's Barclays Premier League season.

Tim Krul, Vurnon Anita and Georginio Wijnaldum were all part of the Dutch squad which lost 1-0 at home to Iceland and 3-0 in Turkey during the international break to leave themselves in peril of missing out on the Euro 2016 finals.

With Daryl Janmaat and Siem de Jong also hoping to force their way back into Danny Blind's plans, the repercussions of a bad week will have been felt deeply at St James' Park.

However, McClaren is confident his Oranje contingent will be able to put their disappointment to one side to aid the Magpies in their quest for a first league win of the campaign.

The former England manager said: "I have got experience of both sides and you really can just park your club when you are with your international team, you can park it.

"It is a weird experience, going from one to the other, but they adapt so quickly, footballers.

"Yes, they are internationals, they are a team and then they come back to the club and it's great to see everybody else.

"Win, lose or draw in the internationals, good result or bad, they kind of just get on with it.

"If they lose and are disappointed, it's great to come back to the buzz of the club, and if they win, it's good that they bring back the infectious confidence.

"All I say is just enjoy the experience and come back fit making sure you are ready to play."

McClaren will be without striker Aleksandar Mitrovic as he starts a three-match ban following his dismissal against Arsenal.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #393 on: September 15, 2015, 03:21:15 AM »
Scoring against arch-rivals Liverpool on his debut was the perfect way for Anthony Martial to introduce himself to his team mates and Manchester United's supporters, midfielder Michael Carrick has said.

Martial became the world's most expensive teenager when United signed him from Monaco for a reported 36 million pounds ($55.7 million) on transfer deadline day, and although he is well known in France, the size of his fee and relatively low profile due to his age prompted murmurs of surprise in England.

Midfielder Carrick joined captain Wayne Rooney in admitting that he did not know much about the teenager when United signed him, but backed Martial to have a bright future at United based on his debut performance.

"I have to be totally honest, I didn't know an awful lot about him but I do now! To start like that, you can't really ask for more," Carrick was quoted as saying by the club's website (www.manutd.com).

Martial put the gloss on United's 3-1 win at the weekend after coming on as a second-half substitute when he danced past three defenders in the 86th minute and sidefooted the ball home.

"It doesn't get any better than that does it? Coming in and coming on, scoring against Liverpool like that," the 34-year-old Carrick added.

"He has done well to get in that position and I thought the finish was terrific, how he just slotted it home, he was so calm and composed. You can't ask for a better start.

"He has announced himself and everyone has seen it on the big stage. It's a good start for him. I am sure his confidence will be sky high after that.

"It's a good way to settle him and if that has raised expectations then so be it, but that is part of the game."

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #394 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:32 AM »
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman wants his side to become more clinical in front of goal if they are to start picking up three points on a more consistent basis.

Southampton have won just once in five matches this season and played out a goalless draw against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on Saturday, where the Saints managed just four shots on target out of 10 overall.

"We had the experience from last year and we knew we will have a lot of possession and then it's always important what you make out of that ball possession and that was not enough," Koeman was quoted as saying by British media.

"Not enough to score the goal.

"The best chance maybe was in the first half for Jay Rodriguez, and not good enough in the final part in attacking, not clinical enough. Sometimes we make too difficult choices in our final pass," he added.

The Dutchman acknowledged that his side's defending has been a big positive this season, having kept three clean sheets in the Premier League.

"That's positive, because in my opinion it starts always at the back and a clean sheet normally makes a winning game. But we have to realise that we have to create more," he said of an attack that has scored five league goals.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:13 AM »
9'
Goal! West Ham United 1, Newcastle United 0. Dimitri Payet (West Ham United) right footed shot from outside the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Mark Noble.

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #396 on: September 15, 2015, 06:56:11 AM »
Westham 2-0 Newcastle

Slaven Bilic gave Steve McClaren another miserable evening as West Ham finally got their home campaign up and running with a 2-0 win over Newcastle.

Goals in each half from Dimitri Payet proved enough to fire the Hammers up to fifth in the Barclays Premier League, and leave McClaren's Newcastle stuck in the bottom three.

Bilic famously masterminded McClaren's darkest hour in management eight years ago when his Croatia side beat England 3-2 at Wembley.

That defeat prevented the Three Lions qualifying for Euro 2008 and cost McClaren his job as England boss, as well as a large chunk of his credibility.

And in their first competitive meeting since that rain-soaked night, Bilic once again came out on top while McClaren's Toon side are still winless, having not scored in the league since the opening day of the season.

West Ham's start to the campaign has been somewhat bizarre to say the least, with wins at Arsenal and Liverpool sandwiching home defeats by Leicester and Bournemouth.

But they could sense Newcastle were there for the taking after just nine minutes when B10.5million summer signing Payet capped a sweeping move with a stunning opener.

Mark Noble collected Diafra Sakho's backheel in the penalty area and laid the ball back for the French midfielder to coolly sidefoot a curling effort into the top corner.

Payet arrived from Marseille with a reputation for creating goals as well as scoring them, and he showed why by teeing up Manuel Lanzini for a shot which the youngster blazed over, before playing in debutant Victor Moses only for the Chelsea loanee to fire wide.

By contrast, the sum total of Newcastle's efforts in the first half was a Janmaat shot which Hammers keeper Darren Randolph comfortably kept out.

And three minutes into the second half West Ham doubled their lead.

Moses was desperately unlucky not to mark an impressive first appearance with a goal when he ran almost the length of the field following a Newcastle corner, only to crash his shot against the crossbar.

The ball bounced down and out towards the lurking Payet, who thumped it into an empty net to take his tally for the season to three.

Newcastle tried to find a way back into the match but the closest they came was a shot from Siem de Jong which was deflected narrowly over the top, much to McClaren's frustration.

It may not have rained at Upton Park as it did at Wembley that fateful night, but you sense the storm clouds may already be brewing at Newcastle.

Offline benhur

• Companion of Honour
« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Just had a look at the Premier League table, surprise to see Chelsea at 17th position !!!

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
Just had a look at the Premier League table, surprise to see Chelsea at 17th position !!!
Nobody will believe that before the season kick off.

"Chelsea grabbed just 4 points from first 5 games:sweat: :sweat:

Online ORIENT

• Marquess
  • SKRE
« Reply #399 on: September 19, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »
Chelsea vs Arsenal

Forward Willian is out of Chelsea's Premier League clash with Arsenal with a * injury.

Striker Radamel Falcao, playmaker Oscar (both knee) and Pedro (thigh) could be available, but are doubtful.

Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is out for around three months following knee surgery, while defender Papy Djilobodji, who is not in the Champions League squad, could be included.

Based on previous comments made by boss Jose Mourinho, a handshake is likely to be offered to Arsene Wenger pre-match.

The Frenchman, who shoved Mourinho in last October's clash at Stamford Bridge, evaded his rival at Wembley when finally ending his 13-match winless run in the Community Shield.

Mourinho was coy on the subject.

"I don't think it's important now and I don't think tomorrow people is focused on that. I think people is focused on what happens on the pitch," Mourinho said.

Chelsea are 17th in the standings after their miserable start of four points from five matches, 11 adrift of leaders Manchester City.

Mourinho is ignoring everything other than the Gunners.

"If we are looking to the table, I don't think that helps," he added.

"It's a match I want to isolate from every possible context. It's just Chelsea-Arsenal and it's a match that we want to win. If it's a pre-season friendly against Arsenal, we want to win. Community Shield, the same."

Petr Cech returns after leaving for North London following 11 years of sterling service at Chelsea.

Mourinho added: "Arsenal goalkeeper until the game ends. When the game ends, if he wants to come to our dressing room, the door is open for him."

John Obi Mikel and captain Terry are the only survivors from Mourinho's first spell.

Terry played every minute in the top flight last season, but has been less in favour this term, although Mourinho maintains he is a key ally.

"I trust him as always and he's one of my men," Mourinho added.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has no interest in reopening a war of words with Mourinho.

Despite the intense media focus on the pair's simmering rivalry, which has included Mourinho once branding the long-serving Arsenal manager a "specialist in failure", Wenger would rather his side's performance on the pitch make the headlines.

He said: "No special relationship (between any manager) is my worry, all I worry about is our performance tomorrow.

"I respect everybody in the job and focus on what I love and that is football. All the rest honestly does not concern me much.

"Realistically people come to watch football and all the rest is a little bit secondary. What is important is the quality of what we will see tomorrow morning at 12.45 and you want people to focus on that."

Asked if he would shake Mourinho's hand and if he regretted their touchline bust-up, Wenger replied: "I don't want to talk about that. I have nothing more to say about this situation."

Wenger was asked if he felt Chelsea were in decline. He replied: "I don't know, I leave that to the specialists. I take care of my team and my own problems."

Chelsea head into the match in need of a kick-start to their Premier League campaign, which has seen the champions beaten three times already and down in 17th place.

Wenger, though, says he draws no schadenfreude from the issues facing his rival manager.

"It can happen," he said.

"Let's not forget it is the start of the season and only five games have been played.

"For us it is a big game and we know our position at the end of the season will depend on how well we do in the big games.

"I do not think too much about where Chelsea stand in the league at the moment. I focus more on us performing well with full power tomorrow."