Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS - Stephen Hawking: Humans only have about 1,000 years left  (Read 566 times)

Offline zigzag

• Viscount

According to Stephen Hawking, our days are numbered ó unless we find a new planet to live on.

During a talk at Oxford Union debating society this week, the renowned theoretical physicist said that humanity probably only has about 1,000 years left before we go extinct.

In his 74 years, Hawking has spoken several times about  our doomed fate ,   with  the risk of things like nuclear war increasing as well as the oncoming threat of global warming. He has also warned that the development of artificial intelligence could end mankind . 

Our only hope of escaping these dangers, says Hawking, is by finding another habitable planet.

"We must also continue to go into space for the future of humanity," he said. "I donít think we will survive another 1,000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet."

NASA launched its Kepler spacecraft in 2009, whose mission is to do just that. It was designed to search the nearby region of our galaxy for Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zone of stars similar to our sun. This zone is also called the "Goldilocks zone" because it is the range where pressure and temperature are "just right" for liquid water to exist on a planet's surface.

This year, the astronomers were excited by the discovery of Proxima B, which is an Earth-size planet orbiting in the star Proxima Centauri's habitable zone. It also lies just 4.2 light-years away from us, which in space terms is pretty close. So far, Proxima B looks like our best chance of escape.

Hawking's speech ended with him encouraging the students to stay curious and told them to remember to "look up to the stars and not down at your feet."
When I was young I used to pray for a bike, then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.

It is dangerous to have a naive mindset, it may cause serious faults in decision making.

Offline Bealmeena

• Civilian
Re: BREAKING NEWS - Stephen Hawking: Humans only have about 1,000 years left
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:35:05 AM »
But many people really think that it's not about them and that's really it, see my point ? I hope you really do. Stephen is a good guy really no matter what. I do not understand how all this is happening. I do want to see if people from this planet really have some mind.

Online Oghmarana

• Civilian
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:13:09 AM »
I think that hour planet have already way more people than it really really should anyway and I do not understand from where it's going ? Do you see me here totally and completely ? I do not understand why it's so ? Something must be done.

Online Andromandis

• Civilian
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:20:08 AM »
It's really good that he still can say something, but I assume dude already passed out if I correctly have seen the news so I hope everything will be fine and correct here and there. Let me show this once again really. I do not want this to be happen.